Sidemount Bailout Config?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's wrong with a dring on the belt. It will actually help you control your bottles. You can get an xdeep style sliding dring and move it out of the way when not needed. Adding weight to tanks is not an ideal fix. Most people moved away from that 10 years ago (at least in the sidemount community).

Bungee from the top back D rings of inspiration harness, or the backplate
Both ways with buttplate

What's wrong with a dring on the belt. It will actually help you control your bottles. You can get an xdeep style sliding dring and move it out of the way when not needed. Adding weight to tanks is not an ideal fix. Most people moved away from that 10 years ago (at least in the sidemount community).

With all due respect, I'm not concerned with the non-ccr side mount community. It's complete apples to oranges, which is why I'm soliciting ccr specific information from the rebreather forum. I don't breath down bailout...unless I'm bailing out...I'm only concerned with achieving static tank trim with full bottles. Adding weight to mixes containing helium is widely accepted in the CCR community and is very much current...

With respect to the sliding D-ring modality, I'm aware of this and I'm open to it, but I'll have to relocate my can light and adjust where I keep certain items. This isn't a deal breaker, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving a stone unturned before I radically adjusted my setup.

Seth

There are very low profile sliding D rings which can snug against your light and still support a tank out of the water. The ones from SumpUK come to mind.

Getting the bail out the way you want it is one of the hardest aspects of CCR diving. A photo would be helpful to try and figure out how to get rid of the "snowplow" effect. Sometimes the design of the fabric buttplates puts the attachment points toward the center of your body, and changing the length of the leash, the placement of the bands, and the length of the bungees might do the trick.

I certainly don't want to hijack this thread, but thought I might add on a related question-

Diving a Meg 2.7 with 2 AL80s as bailout (there is a 3lb weight on the mix side). Currently using side mount front bungees and a butt plate for rigging. The butts of both 80s still angle up. Is there anyway to reconcile this without having to clip them off to D-Rings on the hip belt?

Thanks,

Seth
3lbs of lead on the cam band will do it.

I have a long hose and BOV connected to my deep BO and I'm not going to be doing the "hand off to a buddy" balony business. Might as well shift some lead around so you're that much lighter to climb a ladder if you hang your 80s on a tag line off the boat.

Might as well shift some lead around so you're that much lighter to climb a ladder if you hang your 80s on a tag line off the boat.
Don't forget to pull that line up before they put the boat in gear! It seems ridiculous, yet I've seen it happen. . .

With all due respect, I'm not concerned with the non-ccr side mount community. It's complete apples to oranges, which is why I'm soliciting ccr specific information from the rebreather forum. I don't breath down bailout...unless I'm bailing out...I'm only concerned with achieving static tank trim with full bottles. Adding weight to mixes containing helium is widely accepted in the CCR community and is very much current...

With respect to the sliding D-ring modality, I'm aware of this and I'm open to it, but I'll have to relocate my can light and adjust where I keep certain items. This isn't a deal breaker, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving a stone unturned before I radically adjusted my setup.

Seth
I am using sliding drings and bent drings from Andy (Sump UK) and they are fantastic, still have light canister on right hip putting them on off is super easy and sliding drings (ones on bottom of the picture) rock solid and extremely easy to adjust depending on what’s inside the bottle.

40CCEAEF-C118-4CD0-B738-7C7693FA0AC1.jpeg

Because the 50% on the other side shifts the whole butt plate over and its all kitty wompus on your butt. When you need 18lbs of lead to sink anyway, putting some of that on an al80 cam band is actually a lot nicer than having it in your waist.

Back
Top Bottom