Sidemount Harness Webbing - Anyone tried lightweight/crotch-strap material?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if you just double up the soft webbing in the areas where you need D-rings? I know on a continuous harness that may not be possible, so maybe just sew a small length of additional webbing material in the areas you need doubled up?

Stiff webbing is the way to go so the harness will maintain some form. With stiff webbing the type of triglide does not matter. Comfort is not an issue except for the crotch strap. The best (so far) stiff webbing I can get is from Philtech. Only drawback is that the webbing comes with 2 white stripes and not the "mandatory" all black :D.

The stiff webbing can also pack nicely if you do it right. Replacing the offset D-rings with D-rings and triglides can make it even more compact. Here is a picture of my kit ready for travel:

vlcsnap-2013-03-21-18h41m01s99.jpg

Last edited:
I opted for some mid-stiffness webbing today. It's stuff I already use on my Frankenstein sidemount. No 'mandatory' black... bought webbing for two rigs... one in yellow, the other in blue. Was sorely tempted for the pink. ha ha.. (Pao - Divers' Point in QC stock it, along with low-profile D-rings). It has soft crotch-strap webbing running from the shoulder plate down and around.

Tonight - sanding down my plates and putting it all together. Diving it all next week on tech/deep courses.

Reactions: Pao
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom