Sidemount newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffersonwsm

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering about differance in tanks for sidemounting? I've been using PST 100's. I've read other people not liking this tanks and it seems alot of people using LP 85, 95, 104, and 108's. Is it just a personnal thing or what you get use to.

I had an extra set of 100's to break up. Is the another world I'm missing with the LP tanks? I had thought of purchasing LP85's. I would like to rent a set of 95's. Please shed some light for me.

Thanks
Jerome

I was just wondering about differance in tanks for sidemounting? I've been using PST 100's. I've read other people not liking this tanks and it seems alot of people using LP 85, 95, 104, and 108's. Is it just a personnal thing or what you get use to.

I had an extra set of 100's to break up. Is the another world I'm missing with the LP tanks? I had thought of purchasing LP85's. I would like to rent a set of 95's. Please shed some light for me.

Thanks
Jerome

As for myself , I am going to use a pair of Faber LP 80's.
I am going to stick with the smaller tanks. :D
I have gotten used to Backmounting LP 85' and I am going to stick with the same type (Faber) and close to volume.

Jean

I've sidemounted for quite a few years,and have used many different types of tanks. I hate LP Pressed steel tank because they are very negative,but have a preference for Fabers. 85's are nice because they are small diameter which allows better ability to squeeze through tight areas,and have good trim charcterisitics,but not much gas. 95's are bigger diameter which can prove to be difficult in smaller cave,but they are short which will give you better trim,and have more gas. 108s are okay,but not a better extension over 95s. 120's are an excellent tank since they are light in the water and carry a lot of gas,but they are long and require a little extra work.
I think the best thing to do is what you are suggesting,rent or borrow different tanks and find what works the best. You'll find once you have a well balanced sidemount rig it is not difficult to switch between tank sizes. Sometimes hooking up with someone experienced in sidemounting will help you solve some problems in 1 or 2 dives that could take you a couple dozen dives to figure out.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do plan on taking a course in the spring. I'll try a couple of rentals and go from there. The PST hp100's I use are comfortable but will try other to open that horizon

Thanks to all
Jerome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom