sidemount /tech diving + single tank diving w/out going broke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmashley04

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
having read many, many equipment threads in here (as well as doing other research), i've been talked out of hybrid systems by many of you! so thanks :p however, i have multiple interests from my gear and am trying not to go broke!

i am a divemaster and have about 100 dives in a variety of conditions (many of them with rental jacket BCDs), though never cold enough to require a drysuit. recently got cave certified in mexico in a DIY basic harness and Deco bladder (instructor threw in sidemount cert for free) and LOVED it.
in addition to not spending many thousands, i also want flexibility as i travel a lot, and i'm interested in getting into technical diving and exploring wrecks as well as considering doing my IDC.

what i'm thinking so far:
Minimalist Deco sidemount harness + bladder for my own fun dives (this is the Mexico style sidemount setup apparently) - i could always do this with a single tank if i was going on an OW boat trip. adding a sidemount wing for tech diving (using Deco bladder for redundancy as required by PADI) - any wing recommendations for this?? i'm operating under the assumption that i'll go into the PADI tech courses doing sidemount.

AND either a jacket BCD or better yet a backplate/hogarthian harness configuration and single tank wing for when i need/want to use a single tank on the back configuration. any recommendations for affordable single-tank wings that do NOT require a single-tank adaptor? obviously if i wanted to move to double tanks on the back later i could get yet another wing for that.

thoughts? is there an easier way to get to similar goals that i'm missing?

Get a single tank BP/W for single tank dives. Something like a VDH or Deep6 or Oxycheq wing. They don't require STA's. Don't single tank sidemount. It's lame. It's even lamer off boats. Stay away from PADI technical courses. While their material is fine, their instructor standards suck.

I'd check on how big your redundant lift needs to be. The Deco bladder does not have much. It would only be a partial replacement fo the lift of a 'full' size sidemount rig.

Given you live some where cold, I think I'd just get a more full size sidemount rig, with built in redundancy, and bear with it not being the sweetest in the tropics/mexico. XDeep is the main recommendation usually. I've got the Tec redundant which I like. It's a bit big, but its got the lift for most things. Well, through a lite intro to tech anyway.

Definitely BP/W for the backmount stuff.

Deco sidemount bladder has 22# lift. Something, but possibly a bit light.

DSMB is stowed nicely rolled up inside the butt pouch.
Once you remove your butt pouch, get the DSMB out of the butt pouch, reclip the pouch, and unfurl the DSMB, is this an easy deploy 3' DSMB or a mongo 7+' one?
A smaller one is less than the a bit light Deco bladder, and still not very fast to deploy.

An in extremis option, yes. Maybe not the option to propose to your tech instructor.

ETA: For travel, the XDeep Tec is not heavy, it just does not fold very small. So a redundant one for tec at home and travel would work with checked luggage. For traveling with just carry on, you might need the Deco as a travel sidemount.

oh. i'm moving to palau for a year to do this diving. the water there is quite warm (like 82 degrees) year round. while i'd like to have stuff that's adaptable to different environments, i'm not a cold water diver (never been in a drysuit)

Ah. You might look at the XDeep Classic or Rec redundant versions. You do not need the Tech, likely.

Your plan of bladders from two rigs to form one redundant rig at need might work. My worry with it would be that you have two outer covers shifting around, just more stuff to manage underwater and in case of an issue. Both bladders designed to be in the same case would be cleaner.

One harness + Deco bladder + Classic redundant might be only a few hundred more than Deco + Classic non redundant, or something similar. I think the premium on the XDeep redundant is only about $100. If you wanted to fly in a puddle jumper with all your toys, you'd have three bladders not just two, but being less cluttered in the water might be worth it. Sort of up to your Tech instructor on what is a good redundancy choice. They make redundant wings; you're kludging one together. One option seems better than the other.

I've only about 25 sidemount dives in the XDeep Tech redundant, and experience in BP/W prior. So just one view.

If I may, as you’ll be diving warm water (Palau) there is a 99% chance you’re diving Al tanks.....combine this with 1 or 2 Al 40’s for tec, your lift requirements are certainly covered by the stealth classic. So, if you want to buy 1 system, the classic RB will meet your needs for a long time. Single SM, double SM and tec.
Buy one and done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom