Sidemount training in San Diego.. any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m neither pro or anti “manifold” as I teach and dive both traditional SM and manifold. But, your info about the system (like many others) is incorrect and could mislead others about it. Heaven forbid false info gets on the interwebs......anyways, dive safe, Cheers.

If my information was incorrect then this was your chance to enlighten the misinformed. I have no doubt in my mind that you're more knowledgable about diving than I am. I still don't agree with using the manifold in a cave. In open water I can see the benefits but not in an overhead environment. I can easily hand off one of my cylinders to someone in an emergency and they can rig it like a stage bottle, whether back mount or sidemount. This can't be done with the manifold. I can also remove my tanks if needed with no issues where the manifold has a quick disconnect that will allow small amounts of water to get into the system before the second stage if taken apart underwater. It's an unneeded luxury that is nice to have but would not make me feel safe in an overhead environment. The chances are that you won't be able to convince me the UTD manifold is good to use in overhead but I'm still open minded and would at least like to hear what you have to say so that I"m at least properly informed.

If my information was incorrect then this was your chance to enlighten the misinformed. I have no doubt in my mind that you're more knowledgable about diving than I am. I still don't agree with using the manifold in a cave. In open water I can see the benefits but not in an overhead environment. I can easily hand off one of my cylinders to someone in an emergency and they can rig it like a stage bottle, whether back mount or sidemount. This can't be done with the manifold. I can also remove my tanks if needed with no issues where the manifold has a quick disconnect that will allow small amounts of water to get into the system before the second stage if taken apart underwater. It's an unneeded luxury that is nice to have but would not make me feel safe in an overhead environment. The chances are that you won't be able to convince me the UTD manifold is good to use in overhead but I'm still open minded and would at least like to hear what you have to say so that I"m at least properly informed.

I’ll try to offer any knowledge I have of the system, it’s great that your legitimately interested with an open mind, there have been Z system discussions ad nausem on SB and it can make anyone gun shy trying to offer knowledge when most have made up their mind already. So, to address some points....
The cylinders can be handed off quite easily, further, with the quick connects and manifold it’s very straight forward and also allows both divers to remain on the long hose. Yes, a very small and unnoticeable amount of water may get to the second stage (maybe 1 or 2 ml) and manifold. A simple post dive rinse takes care of this. My preference is not to hand off cylinders unless no other options available. Certainly handing off cylinders in a confined overhead in zero Vis is a challenge.

Simply, the manifold allows a diver to always donate from the long hose instantly, following the muscle memory learned since open water dive one. When it comes to overheads, yes, more failure points (more static O rings and 2 QC6 connections) but the manifold is protected far better than a backmount manifold as it’s tucked behind the divers neck. If there is a second stage failure, the system gives access to all the gas unlike traditional SM where the cylinder with the failure now has unusable gas and impacts your gas plan.

Drawbacks are cost, complexity, the requirement to dive in a team and training.

If you do have questions feel free to ask, cheers.

One of the Z-system discussions is here Z-system advantages. Reading through that may give you a good overview. There are differing views on its advantages. It may be a good thread for follow up discussion, so people can easily find it.

This thread also had a heavy Z-system discussion: Need more gas - now what?

Last edited:
not completely unusable. valve feathering can be utilized depending on the failure mode and reg swapping is an option if necessary. bare valve breathing if you get really desperate.

not completely unusable. valve feathering can be utilized depending on the failure mode and reg swapping is an option if necessary. bare valve breathing if you get really desperate.

Totally true, feathering and reg swap are options, but in comparison , very risky options. Again made worse if in overhead, zero Vis etc.

To get back to the original question. There are a few sidemount instructors in Southern California. My advice is to find one that also does the type of diving you plan for the future. If you plan on doing some tec diving in the future, then find an instructor that also tec dives in sidemount. Planning to cave dive in the future? Then find an instructor that also cave dives in sidemount. I wouldn't worry too much about the agency, I have met some fine sidemount divers from many different agencies.

I appreciate all the information. I would never switch to using the manifold but I at least want to be informed. It could definitely have some benefits in certain situations but it's still not something I would want in a cave and I know for sure nobody I dive with in caves would be willing to use it either. I always donate the long hose from muscle memory any way so that wouldn't make a difference wether it's the Z system or not. In open water it sounds like a cool gadget but I'd prefer to use what I have for overhead environment.

I appreciate all the information. I would never switch to using the manifold but I at least want to be informed. It could definitely have some benefits in certain situations but it's still not something I would want in a cave and I know for sure nobody I dive with in caves would be willing to use it either. I always donate the long hose from muscle memory any way so that wouldn't make a difference wether it's the Z system or not. In open water it sounds like a cool gadget but I'd prefer to use what I have for overhead environment.

Personally, I think it's well nifty to be able to share gasshare on all tanks (incl. stages), and always have the donatable in my mouth, particularly in no-viz.
But, as has been said, to each their own :)

Hello everyone, I am looking to get certified in sidemount. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on where I should go or know personally of a competent instructor in San Diego? Thank you for your help!
Bump. Same question, same city, different year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom