Sidewinder style counterlungs with BM doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Manatee Diver do you know if he is on SB? Sounds like he consistently runs that set up, so would be nice to hear about its pros and cons from a guy who actually dives it.

If I see him I will ask, long shot though I haven't seen him in a couple of months.

I believe the photographer posts here and I know he is fairly active on Facebook. So might be quicker to ask Mike directly and see if he can put you in touch with him.

I think it’s Vinzant. The setup works and breathes alright, but the placement of the suit inflation bottle on the left side + the optimal setup of the canisters means that there’s a high sensitivity to how much gas is in the wing. 8” cylinders like those worn in the video set the center of the inflation (or oxygen, if not butt mounted) higher away from the scrubbers and thus allow for some gas in the wing. The same placement on small cylinders is a little more difficult and doesn’t leave much room for the wing to inflate (and needs to be correct wing size).

Boat diving in a wetsuit without suit gas and a pair of doubled AL40s with a couple others of deco bottles? Super slick. Once you start adding things on top of it or move towards bigger cylinders, you’re much better off with a rack or a traditional 3L setup on a rebreather. If it’s a couple times a year thing and you only want to own one unit and can’t handle the SW on a moving boat, it’s good enough. Can’t really recommend it without hesitation though.

It was Andreas. He had been diving the sidewinder with a set of doubles on his back. He was in the same rig when we dove with him last year for a video shoot at Shamrock.

It was Andreas. He had been diving the sidewinder with a set of doubles on his back. He was in the same rig when we dove with him last year for a video shoot at Shamrock.
I sit corrected

I sit corrected

It's understandable, Matt had played with a double CCR rig using a meg and a sidewinder a few years earlier, but I think he's moved to a dual Liberty setup now.

IMG_4319.jpeg
66484372707__0985DC81-AB7D-41D3-8B85-EB2EE98FA1DC.jpeg
IMG_4450.jpeg

Little experiment a couple years ago just had the CL floating between my back and plate. I liked the bigger wider lung more seemed more consistent wob wise.

I was just interested in this as a more packable rebreather than a full backmount rebreather. It was very very bad in any sort of head up orientation but I think thats mostly the nature of the sidewinder not something I would want to ocean dive with so didn’t persue any further.

If it was breathing bad head up, it's likely lung position more than anything. A few inches up/down from optimal makes a huge difference on the SW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom