Signaling

What signaling devices do you always dive with?

• Safety Sausage

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • Long-Distance Noise Maker (like a compressed air horn)

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Light (during the day)

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • Other (Dye marker, sat phone, etc. Please explain)

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Two or more of the above

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Three or more of the above

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
How many people dive with signaling devices? Lights during night-dives are a given. What do you dive with that could be used if you got swept away by current or if the boat left?

yup ... an inflatable sausage and pneumatic whistle on every open ocean dive

a mirror would probably be a good idea too... but i guess i'm too lazy

Maybe a few--lights,whistles,mirrors,safety flares,dye sticks,strobes,radio beacon tracker,10ft.tall marker bouy,lift bags,knives,shears,bible. :)

Lights x 2 (Large primary, SL6 backup)
1 x storm whistle
1 x strobe beacon
1 x large orange delayed SMB
1 x yellow 35lb lifting bag (also used as a backup/emergency dsmb)
SOLAS reflective strips on the dsmbs and drysuit.

All taken on every dive both home and abroad. (The DSMB is used on every dive as a matter of procedure here to be found by the boat).

Aside from magnificent buddies...

In ocean waters I have a safety sausage and whistle. I think a glow stick is still stuffed inside. I think I had a dye pack in there once.

In the quarry, if I surface and say "help" in a normal voice I might have 6 people asking if I'm OK on a busy day. Heck, just surfacing away from the exit point is enough to get strangers signaling OK.

A mirror came with the sausage, but I'm not sure it's worth carrying since I'd be floating in something with a lot of flickering shinny spots.

I used to keep an old/blank cd in my bc pocket but I think it fell out. It's not there anymore. That was my redneck mirror. I have a SS and a cheap, plastic whistle. Obviously, I'm extremely safety conscious. Heh heh.

You're alive!!! :D Hi buddy! You're forgetting the little orange safety sausage.

You also have a knife on your right shoulder, which you could use to stab annoying coffee drinking singing-in-the-car buddies so that maybe the blood slick will be visible. :11: I really should learn to keep my mouth shut...:shakehead:

The vast majority of my diving is shore diving in protected sites where being swept away from anything is unlikely. I do often dive with an SMB and spool, but it's more for taking advantage of practice opportunities than because I might need it for emergency signalling. I do dive with a high intensity light, every day, everywhere, day or night.

Back
Top Bottom