Signed up for a dry suit class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up in the PNW, the water temperature where I dived this winter was ~46-50 degrees F.

I wear polypro long johns, lite weight as the layer against my skin

I put a second layer on: something similar to https://www.cdsportswear.com/wf_style4.htm

and have the 300g polypro heavy fleece suit that came with my USIA drysuit on top.

I understand others don't wear quite so much, but I find myself comfortable the entire dive and both my hands and feet stay warm (wetsuit gloves, liner + heavy winter socks),

ppo2_diver:
You should plan on doing the pool/confined water dives in the undergarments you plan to use in the open water as your weighting will change with more/less undergarments.

While that might be nice, it's often not feasible (i.e. diving the same undergarment you plan to use in OW in the pool). MA waters are in the 30s, and the local pool is about 80F. I'd probably die in the pool using my undergarment. Just do a weight check before the OW training dives, and you'll be all set.

Some great advice and even better examples!

First thing I'm going to do is get some new wick material first layers. I figure I can use them when snowboarding season comes back as well so they will be a good "new" purchase. Then I'm going to try and find some old socks that are warm and comfortable. Then maybe see if those old long underwear I have still fit. Then find a fleece that doesn't have a collar that will interfere with the neck seal.

I also just realized that I don't have any suitable gloves so I will have to pick up a pair of wetsuit gloves. Maybe one of those skullcap hoods too.

So how many other found a drysuit "hard" to learn or completely different than any SCUBA experience before. I know Wildcard said it was like starting all over. My main reason for asking this is that they are offering an AOW class the same weekend and wanted to know if I was interested in that. I plan on getting my AOW very soon and thought it might be a good idea...but also thought the dry suit might just make me "suck" at SCUBA on the first dry dives I try....maybe I can feel it out in the pool session and still have time to sign up if I feel comfortable.

I got in a heated pool last summer to check some weighting/balance stuff and thought I was going to die within five minutes. The undergarments required for 45 degree water are enough to smother you in an 80 degree pool.

A dry suit will definitely complicate your life for a while. Managing the air bubble in the suit, and managing two air bubbles (suit and wing) for buoyancy requires a lot more bandwidth than simply controlling your wing. My advice, for what it's worth: When you start out, dive with the minimum air in the suit you can stand and still have enough mobility to reach your dry suit valve and tank valve. The smaller that suit bubble, the easier your life will be. As you gain facility with venting the suit and managing the bubble, you can add a little more gas to improve your warmth. (Google "dynamic instability" for a nice essay on what the suit bubble does to your diving.)

I think the AOW would be best left until you are more comfortable diving dry. I have 3 dry dives now and am just starting to feel in control, but I figure I need at leat another 5 before I'd be happy trying to learn more new things. I found the learning curve quite steep- the extra bulk of the suit and the gloves made everything seem difficult, the thick hood meant I couldn't hear anything, the extra drag in the water made swimming harder..
ymmv obviously.

Hated the DS for the first 10 dives (though was obviously warmer, duh). After that, it gets more comfortable. Still can't say I feel as at ease in the DS as a wetsuit, but another 100 dives should take care of that. :wink:

Yeah, I think I best leave the AOW until the water gets warm enough for a thick wetsuit. I just figured the dry suit class would be a great way to get more education and not limit myself only to warm water as I hear lots of good things about colder water. Plus, I just found out I got a new job so maybe that expensive dry suit purchase will be sooner than later.

Thanks for all the input and help. For all you Chicagoland divers...PM me your favorite shops and why as I need to look around at a few more shops. (personal instructors as well)

While I'm not in the Chicago area I'm not that far from it. My dive of 2 weeks ago was in 37 F water at a local quarry, still plenty cold at the bottom.

IMO a drysuit complicates things a lot more than you'd realize, however after you get over the I hate it feeling you'll start loving it. I dive mine nearly year round, even in temps of 100 F outside. Of course you'll get the undergarment damp with sweat and things get ripe quickly, but once in the water you'll still be more comfortable than many wetsuit divers.

I once wore my garments I use for cold water in a pool, all I got to say is I really got hot in that session. It plain wasn't fun. You can get the weighting figured that way but it's not very fun.

Back
Top Bottom