silencing auto drains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my customers built one very similar to ScubaDuck's but just used hoses instead of pipes and fittings. He said that the bigger the hose he used to go into the bucket, the quieter it was when it opened. He started off with the 1/4" stuff that comes on our compressors and he hated it. He then adapted the drain hoses to 1" and the increased volume allowed him to use LP hose. Of course, he went to McDonalds and got one of their 5 gallon pickle buckets for his collection container so it is a lot easier to carry than his last one (he used a 55 gallon drum).

I have a Coltri MCH 6 that has an old oil bottle with a sintered filter on top that needs to be replaced because of the proximity to everything else. The oil/water mist just goes everywhere when it cycles. I like your idea, but am not clear on all of the parts. Could you please elaborate a little bit as to sizes, part numbers. etc?

I have attached two pictures of the system we built based on Scubaduck's diagram. The sock covers the muffler to prevent any extra moisture from escaping. It has proven a good addition because it is getting dirty with oil. I do have a lot of white socks that don;t have any matches in my drawer. The bracing was built to prevent the drum from flexing when 3600 psi vents into it. We did not want to flex the threaded part of the barrel and weaken the area where our fittings were screwed into the barrel. It has been used for the last 6 days and filling 2000 cubic feet per day.

Thanks DereK

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_8978.jpg
    IMG_8978.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_8977.jpg
    IMG_8977.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 158
Scuba duck idea that has worked for me for 20 years. I have the drain plumbed into and open top 5 gal bucket. On the end of the 1/4 tube leading into the bucket I attached a large nipple and then put two heavy canvas bags around the tubing with a clamp above the nipple so it didn't blow off. In the bottom of the bucket I placed 5 pounds of Kitty litter to absorb the oil and water. Change the kitty litter when it get full of water and oil --takes care of most of the smell and CHEAP. noise abatement good but not silent It won't scare you as much HEE,HEE
Jim Shelden

We use a Poland spring bottle filled with Scotchbrite pads

Back
Top Bottom