Silica Gel Desiccant & Canon Housings - Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased some desiccant packs that Dee said she used (of course she uses an oly). 2 gram package I think. I won't fit in my canon wp-dc700 housing very well. What do you Canon users use?

I use the same ones in my A70 & case that I use in my Oly 5050.

To get them to fit I put them between the lens and the hand grip part. You have to shake them to get them to fit and watch the top doesn't interfere with the zoom mechanism. It's a little fiddly at first but it only takes a few times to get it.

bubble blower:
I purchased some desiccant packs that Dee said she used (of course she uses an oly). 2 gram package I think. I won't fit in my canon wp-dc700 housing very well. What do you Canon users use?
I don't use desiccants or anti-fog solutions. I load the housing in an air conditioned area and float it in a bucket of water while I'm not diving... no fogging so far with this method. I did experience fogging once... when I loaded the housing on the boat (in a high humidity environment). If you're using the internal flash, or shooting RAW images... try to allow a little more time between shots for the heat generated inside the housing to dissipate, rather than build up. Good luck!

alcina,
thanks! worked like a charm.:D

Acrylic housings are very susceptible to fogging because they don't conduct heat very well. Inserting a few packs of silca gel with prevent this. Its no big deal where you open the housing (a/c, no a/c, on the boat...) if you use the silca packs. Aluminum housings conduct heat from the camera much better than acrylic - virtually no fogging problem. My old PT-015 fogged. My Tetra doesn't.

The only time my A70 has ever fogged is when I had a small leak happening. I never use dessicant packages and dont apply any solution to the lens. I have loaded it not in air con room and it seems fine. Just try not leave it sitting out in the sun - although I have done so and it didn't fog.

My A-80 has gotten a little fogged, but a dessi-pack always solves this problem. I just use whatever I can find, seems like everything you buy now has one or two in it. I even got 4 out of a new pair of shoes.

My A75 housing has a space directly above where the lcd goes. I put the camera in, then shove the dessicant in there and close it up.

I use 4 in my case for S45 (water temp drops from 24C to 14C on bottom). I usually put the photo in the case and then push 2 bags on top of it (over microphone), and 1 to the left and 1 to the right (but taking care not to block any buttons or o-rings).

there is not much space but you can push them a little...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom