silicone and drysuit zippers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

docmartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
in drysuit class i learned not to use anything but paraffin or beeswax for the drysuit zipper and stay away from silicone. several drysuit manuals i have seen state the same. consequently, one would think that it should be real easy to get the appropriate lubricant anywhere where drysuits are sold and that noone would make a zipper lubricant containing silicone. wrong on both counts. my lds only carries max wax which claims to be for all zippers explicitely including drysuits. however, it is silicone based. leisure pro, my other lds, also does not carry paraffin or beeswax but several silicone containing products. what's the deal? is silicone okay after all?

If you use silicone on the zip there is a very high risk of never being able to replace the zipper. This is because you maight not ever be able to get the glue to stick to install the new one.

BTW parafin wax is available at most grocery stores, look for canning supplies.

Bees wax is available in marine stores and from any sailmaker.
One sail supply source that does mailorder;
http://www.sailrite.com/

You can get beeswax or parafin at other places than your LDS. For example, any place that sells candle making supplies (hobby stores like Michael's or Lewiscraft) usually have BOTH these materials in stock. Just won't be a in pretty little container. So, just stick a convenient sized piece in a baggie in your SAD kit.

DSDO,

NEVER, NEVER use silicone on ANYTHING on a drysuit.

This includes most especially the seals and the zipper.

Silicone is slippery enough and hard enough to get completely off that it can prevent bonding of replacement components. This means that you may NEVER be able to have either the seals or zipper replaced on the suit!

That turns the suit into a pumpkin as soon as you have a failure in either of these two components.

It should be obvious that you won't like the money consequence of that happening.....

Back
Top Bottom