Silicone turned yellow.......can it be cleaned to be cleared again?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

typically exhibit discoloration and yellowing due to overexposure to ultraviolet radiation.

It indicates you're actually using your gear.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually both of my primary and backup masks are in black. It's my girlfriend's mask that's in white. Also the silicone display protector on my Atom is turning yellow...............

Anyway, didn't find that that bothering. Just wondering if they can be taken care of.

Thanks to all replies again.

yeah, my jet fins discolor my clear skirted mask with even short periods of contact, you can see it clearly by the discolored areas of the skirt, funny enough, my black skirted mask doesn't seem to have that "problem"

C'mon...simple toothpaste and a toothbrush and some patience will do it.
Just keep on scrubbing and it will be much better.
Mania
PS. BTW the mask has to be washed from time to time even the black one - not only toi silicone but also the glass - there are quite a few germs in the corners. Even some huge families.
:D

When I took my mask into the shop I bought it at (Snorkel Bob's) to see about a new Rx in it they noticed the silicone had yellowed and told me to soak it in bleach water for a couple of hours, then to scrub it until it turned clear again. It did get a little better, but not completely... fwiw

Aloha, Tim

HMMMM.... Contact with neoprene and hoses causes yellowing.
Sounds like a good reason to put mask on forehead instead of around neck.
:sofa:

Dectek:
HMMMM.... Contact with neoprene and hoses causes yellowing.
Sounds like a good reason to put mask on forehead instead of around neck.
:sofa:

Unless you are wearing a hood!! :D

Back
Top Bottom