silly diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott once bubbled...
Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ever had similar problem/experiences. What you'd suggest, or what helped you. :D
I have been accussed of having too many hobbies. My brother definately did. My advice; don't worry about it. Your young and life has a way of limiting your options. I suspect that you will eventually find two or three things that you keep going back to and that they will be the source of life long enjoyment. Hopefully diving will be one. I suspect that a future spouse, geographic location of your permanent employment and childen will have a lot to do with which hobbies you settle into in the end. Until then think of it as an extension of the Boy Scout merit badge system and learn about a lot of different things. By the way, you are majoring in recreational education are you not? :wink:

landlocked once bubbled...
By the way, you are majoring in recreational education are you not? :wink:

Nope. Associate Of General Studies w/ Technology Option. Basically I have 14 credits of required stuff such as speech, math, writting, the usual, and 70 of electives (21 of which must be from certain areas which isnt a big deal, 90% of the courses at my school fit that catagory)

In your post you described me perfectly. I was into paintball, wakeboarding, Tae Kwon Do, cars and etc....my mom called them wild hairs up my a$$ lol. She said the same for scuba when i took the class and brought home all new gear. Then she found out i loved it. Then i kept doing it, and doing it. Iv been diving now for 2 years and dont plan to EVER stop doing so. Keep diving! :thumb:

People who dont dive, dont know what it feels like to dive. To explore a territory that we physically should not be able to explore. And my mom found that out. That diving changes peoples lives!

landlocked once bubbled...
How about:
coin collecting
frisbee golf
making chocolates
etc.

heck, the list is endless! :wink:

Besides, look at the knowledge to be gained in burning through a lot of hobbies. (A quick note: anyone who has successfully been involved in half of this list, or more, needs to get a spouse or a job or both!)

:jester:

What's frisbee golf?!

Here's what you need to do. Buy loads of really nice gear and then decide not to dive anymore and sell me your used stuff at a huge loss. --Just kidding.

Acutally, diving has been one of those hobbies that I actually think I'll stay with. My wife and I got certified at the same time and lots of my friends at work dive. I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon.

What's frisbee golf?!

Its a game thats played much like golf except with a specific type of frisbee. There are several courses around my place. The hole is a chain basket on a post. Good exercise. Good fun for a small group of people.

TwoBit

MerKiwi once bubbled...

What's frisbee golf?!
You really don't need to get too fancy. Grab a frisbee and use the neighborhood for your course. You can use trees, porches, or other objects as the hole. Score it like golf. Select your goals or holes so that they are somewhat challenging i.e., around corners, through difficult narrow places, etc. It is a great waste of time and can be a lot of fun! Let us know how it goes! Hey, you could even try it undewater with one of those little toy torpedo things. :D

I've only got one hobby, collecting hobbies. :)

The key to sticking with it will be the social aspect. If it gets you out with the type of people you enjoy being with, you are much more likely to really want to go.

David

Darts, volunteer coach, bowling, billiards, golf, frisbee golf (only once), basketball, softball, and some others that I've dropped. Point is, I have always loved the water. When I started diving three years ago, I jumped off the deep end and never looked back at this sport. I have worked my way through DM, and the best advice I have is this: don't dive outside of your limits and training. Have a lot of fun, but don't take things forgranted. Make sure you have the proper equipment to make safe, fun dives...and don't rush to keep up with the Jones'. Keep up with yourself...if your buddy don't get it, call me...I'll dive with YOU.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
if your buddy don't get it, call me...I'll dive with YOU.

LOL thats awesome, thats why I love the dive community such great support. Whats a great step in the right direction lately is my instructor mentioned that the week after our OW dives he's going to do a Discover SCUBA for OUR friends. He's not advertising it or anything it's private invite of friends of the OW class. So of course I called my 2 best friends (why not, they might try SCUBA for free) and one said he'd check his schedule (didn't sound too thrilled) the other said. I'd love to, its something I've always wanted to try (the same thing I thought before taking OW, I've allways wanted to do this :wink:) So week after my OW dive I'm taking my friend to the pool so he can try it out. Hopefully/maybe he will enjoy it enough to get certified and I'll have a 2nd Dive buddy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom