Similans / Out of season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A friend of mine has asked if I would be interested if he were to organize a liveaboard trip some time end of june / july.

I know this is out of season and rough weather can be expected, but he is trying to tell me that a boat owner (to remain nameless) has told him that the viz is just as good and that there are many more fish around the dive sites because there aren't as many divers around to sczre them off.

The proviso he gave though was that he would have to get the long term weather forecast and could guarentee exactly which day/week the trip would start.

Has any body else done this?

Is what he is saying true?

or is it all just a way of boat owners making money off season without having to take their boats around to the gulf?

Thats another question , has anybody gone on the trip around to the gulf diving on the way?

Cheers

Hi The Hamburger,

The statement, "The proviso he gave though was that he would have to get the long term weather forecast and could guarentee exactly which day/week the trip would start," makes me highly suspicious. It simply is not possible to do this. I believe it's mostly just hang around the dive shop & wait for the days when they can/will go out.

As you may be aware, some live-aboards in this area don't even run trips over this time period. There is a reason.

Sorry, but I'd pass on it.

DocVikingo

Doc,

Thanks for the answer.

Hanging around the dive shop is not realy an issue as all the people who would go on the liveaboard (sorry I forgot to mention it would be a charter) would just be a 45 min flight away.

What I was realy looking for was comments on the conditions.

Esp. the viz.

Cheers

Hey Hamburger... sounds rather dodgy to me. I will check with my liveaboard 'guru' down in Phuket for his opinion.

Don't know of anyone who has done the trip round to the gulf - sorry.

Will get back to you ASAP.

Cheers

HB - have a read of this...

The main reason for us not to operate during the low season is the unreliable weather, it could be nice but it can also quickly become real bad. One boat (Lazy Shark owned by High Class Diving Adventure) sunk at the Similans a couple of years ago. Even if the weather is nice you usually have rough sea which means that many of the guests stay sea sick most of the trip. The viz could be good, but if the weather is bad the viz usually also gets bad. I believe the marine life could be better during low season due to the reason you mentioned below. I don't know how many companies operate during low season, but it becomes more of them for every year.

I guess you got the picture how I feel about Similan cruises during low season.

Hope that helps?

BUURRGGGEERRRR,

to wrap up this thread (I joined The Hamburger for an out of season trip to test this out) - the diving was OK - the sea conditions were rough - would I do it again - not unless it was cheap, its simply not worth it if you are paying full price. Part of a trip to the Sims is the blue sea - the sun sets - the balmy weather - the milky way - We came back "windswept" to say the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom