Similian, did I picked the wrong month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In a couple of weeks, we will be heading over to Similian for a dive trip, so far I have heard it's been raining all week long. I hope this constant rain will not effect my trip because we've been waiting for this trip for a while.

If the rain continues while we're there, how bad will this effect the visibility?

Tommer

Should have cleared up by the time you get here - its very unseasonal and uncommon to have rain at this time of year (usually we have a couple of weeks in April which some people call the "mango rains" but the locals call the "rains that got lost") - last night in BKK we had quite a storm.

Bad vis from run off usually clears up in 3/4 days at the mainland shore but as sims are way out there should be OK a couple of days later (max).

Hi

We had 3 or 4 bad days over new year in the sims but the rest of the two weeks was lovely. Still enjoyed the diving on the bad days though. Of course its better when the sun's full on lighting up the reef but you will still have a great time. What boat are you on? I hope it clears up for you.

Neil

Rain should be gone soon.

This week we had 2 or 3 wet days in Phuket, but when I asked some divers how the weather had been in Similan, they replied that it had been great - just a couple of showers in 4 days, and a thunderstorm one night after the night dive. Weather on Phuket Island is often wetter than at the dive sites, as the rain clouds sit on the hills here, whereas out at sea, the clouds just drift by.

Hope you have a good trip

What are the "Don't you dare go there" months for the Similan ? When I was in Thailand I heard that in july/august, it was impossible to go to the Similans because of the waves and storms.

But from what I read here, that info must be totally wrong.

Anyone ? :)

I believe the "season" ends in May and then kicks up again around October - that's for the Similians. I think you are OK pretty much all year round in Phuket, but it will be getting hot now...

Jonathan

Amanda,

The thing is that between June - October, the weather can be good or it can be Baad. It is pretty unpredictable. Last summer my family was visiting from Europe in July and we had 2 weeks of good weather. I have been to Similan on "The Junk" in August. But it can be baad, so there are few trips scheduled. Only a few boats run during this time and they are bigger boats which can handle a few waves.

All we can say is, it's better from November to April.

Have a nice day!

Thanks for the info ! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom