Simple Projects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior diver

Reaction score
Can anyone think of some simple, cheap projects for me to play with now I am off school for a while? A way to make a cheap reel would be nice but really anything is fun for me!

Help appreciated

JD

Some of my earlier projects:

dive flag
dive reel
macro lens for my camera
tank holder for my car

Bryan

Dive flag...hmmm, yellow cloth (I know its not a dive colour but it will get attention) and some tent poles cut in half, so it collapses downwards. I could make that work.

Reel is something that could be really useful. Probably a simple one. I just lack the knowledge of how to make one.

I've looked at your website by the way, the type of diving a do a float isn't really practical if that's what you meant by a flag. But a very interesting piece. I would of though the first one would work better as it had a bigger base...shows how much I know!

junior diver:
I would of though the first one would work better as it had a bigger base...shows how much I know!

As did I. turns out the larger base is good for one thing - catching the wind and waves. Jerks you around like a fish on a line. The advantage of the other flag is it doens't have a lot of positive buoyancy, so if a big gust of wind, or a large wave, hits it the flag simply submerges, and pops back to the surface.

Bryan

I looked at your web site, but I can't get the pics to load. Are they still availiable? I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Waterskier1:
I looked at your web site, but I can't get the pics to load. Are they still availiable? I tried Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I just did a quick check and everything loads fine in the DIY SCUBA section (firefox & IE6). Are you sure you are not behind some sort of firewall which blocks images, or that you have something set to prevent images from being automatically loaded?

Anyhow, here's a direct link. Give er a go and see if it works better:

http://www.warthaug.com/scuba/diy.html

Bryan

Pool toys at discount stores. Those foam tubes prople float on work well.

Gary D.

junior diver:
Dive flag...hmmm, yellow cloth (I know its not a dive colour but it will get attention)

Use the correct flag colors. Either the red with white stripe or the international Alpha flag. Dependent on where you are diving you can not only be fined but also have your gear confiscated.

ScubaSarus:
Were did you get the foam. Ide like to replace the one on my flag.
I get a lot of foam at work, as packaging materia. I simply cut the blocks to the approximate size I want. If the pieces are too small I glue (with wood glue) several pieces togeather.

Home depo, rona, etc also carry foam you can buy.

Pool noodles work as well; toys r us ...

Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom