Simple underwater comm for hearing impaired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JesperS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm severely hearing impaired (wear hearing aids) and while editing our dive videos from the keys last year, I realized that I'm completely immune to all the underwater maracas, tank bangers, etc (unfortunately, this includes the beeping from my computer, but that's a different thread).

I need a simple wireless comm system that would function at depth. My thoughts were each buddy pair would have a transmitter, and a receiver. Transmitter could be handheld, or maybe just a button snapped onto your harness. Receiver would either be strapped to your mask near your ear, or perhaps wrist mounted.

Idea being that I need to get my buddies attention to look at this nifty seahorse while he's focused on that lobster just over there, I'd press the button on my transmitter, and their receiver would beep (if it were mounted by the ear) so that even I could hear it, or if it were something like a wrist mount, would vibrate to get your attention.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Considering you should be visually checking to see your buddy is there every minute or so, audible signals should be irrelevant... If it is something that moves so fast that you cannot wait until they are looking at you, then chances are by the time they track down where your noise is coming from it will be long gone... I generally can't hear my computer either - but that is because I wear a hood and occasionally wear earplugs designed to prevent swimmers ear.

I don't use tank bangers, I don't use rattles... I had a buddy with a clicker once - I told him after the dive that I am not a dog, and if he ever clicked at me again I would shove it somewhere unpleasant... If I need my buddies attention, I either wait until they are looking at me and sign "Look" and point or indicate creature type, or use my torch to attract their attention. One of the best thing in diving in my opinion is that you learn to communicate in ways other than words and facial expressions - and that for an hour or so there is no one yapping at you.

Buddy skill 101 is to know where your buddy is all the time. I do a regular shore dive departing from my LDS every Sunday, one week my regular buddy was away, so I ended up being handed 3 newbie divers. The site we went to is full of great things but with the propensity for rubbish vis - whilst my three newbies seemed to keep loosing me in the vis (generally as I had to play shepherd and reign in the strays), I knew their locations at all times and managed to show all three all the "exciting" life under there that I saw that day. No need for clickers, rattles, beepers, buzzers or horns. Just decent buddy skills.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I think it is developing a solution for a problem that does not exist.

Wireless underwater is generally fairly sketchy too - Liquivision is playing with Sonar for boat->diver messaging etc - but I believe that is limited to 300m line of sight. Most tank transmitters struggle at about 3m under water.

You could try a "brighter than the noon day sun" can light (or I guess just about any torch). You have to be within line of sight range (so not too far with heavy silt or behind a rock) if everyone is wearing a clear skirted mask then your reasonably bright should at least be able to attract their attention. Shake it while pointing the torch at their head, and they should eventually look up and over at you.

Why not just wait until your buddy looks over to you and then point out the sea horse?
My computer is turned silent as are those of most of my buddies.

I'm severely hearing impaired (wear hearing aids) and while editing our dive videos from the keys last year, I realized that I'm completely immune to all the underwater maracas, tank bangers, etc (unfortunately, this includes the beeping from my computer, but that's a different thread).

I need a simple wireless comm system that would function at depth. My thoughts were each buddy pair would have a transmitter, and a receiver. Transmitter could be handheld, or maybe just a button snapped onto your harness. Receiver would either be strapped to your mask near your ear, or perhaps wrist mounted.

Idea being that I need to get my buddies attention to look at this nifty seahorse while he's focused on that lobster just over there, I'd press the button on my transmitter, and their receiver would beep (if it were mounted by the ear) so that even I could hear it, or if it were something like a wrist mount, would vibrate to get your attention.

Anyone know of anything like this?

There's an easier way.

Use a flashlight. You and your buddy might need a few dives to get tuned into it, but it's the best attention getter I can think of for diving. When you can see that your buddy is looking at something then just wave the light beam back and forth over what he's looking at. When you're not sure what he's looking at you can wave it at his head and the flashing in his mask will catch his attention. This can be used in bright or in dark conditions although the more ambient light there is, the more "dailed in" you'll need to be.

Personally I've never used any other kind of attention grabber than a flashlight and it works like a charm.

Something else you might consider if getting your buddy's attention is really difficult is to use a buddy line. This is just basically a short rope that you hold onto on one end and your buddy holds the other end. They have certain applications such as (in this case) allowing for a form of tactile communication. Diving with one, however does require a bit of getting used to and it's not suitable for all conditions but it could be a nice low-tech solution to your problem.

R..

Thanks for the comments everyone

If you REALLY need something that ( I belive that light communication is very best ) is that for you http://www.utc-digital.com/

Very interesting device, but definitely overkill for our needs. Buddy line doesn't sound like a great idea either.

Re: Staying in visual range: This isn't the issue. Every time I've wanted to get my buddies attention, we've been literally within feet of each other. Visual contact, even in our crummy vis. But, unless he's looking at me, I'm not in his line of sight.

We will start trying light communication. We both have DRIS 1000's which I think are bright enough, but it's usually clipped off on our day dives, meaning it would be just as quick to swim a few feet and tap. We've got the shorties and soft goodmans on the way, so maybe that will be a little more convenient.

Maybe a better way to phrase my desire is: A short range remote shoulder tap :)

I know this thread is a little older, but feel free to check out our underwater communication systems. We are the world leader in underwater communications and have numerous training videos on how to use and operate them.

For your situation, I'd recommend our "Buddy Phone D2", which you can see here : Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

The unit is all inclusive, meaning it sends out and receives the signal, all in the same unit that sits next to your ear. You have a push-to-talk button located on your mask (depending on which mask you have will dictate where this button will be) and is used as easily as a standard walkie-talkie (although there is a little bit of a learning curve). It operates off a single 9V battery, has an operation time of 9-13 hours (depending on how often you speak), reaches out to 500m, has a voice menu to change options like channels, volume, squelch and whether you want Voice-Operated-Transmit on or off which can be changed on the fly while in the water. It is our most recreational model of communications we offer and works great.

You can see the training video here : U/W Communications Training | Ocean Technology Systems - It is the first video on the page.

Also, keep in mind, as with all underwater communcations, you will need an airspace to articulate into as well. We do offer Full Face Masks as well, which can be seen here Shop | Ocean Technology Systems

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom