Simultaneous Video And Photo 1440p/24with 12MP@5fps vs 2k/30 protune/raw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Taking my first dive trip in a week or so (Panama City + Crystal River). I've read many threads and searched others but have not seen anyone discussing the Hero3 black's SIMULTANEOUS VIDEO AND PHOTO mode. I've done lots of still shooting and some video but since I like to do big prints want very high quality stills. I'm intrigued about the idea of shooting 1440p/24 with 12Mp stills automatically taken every 5 seconds (plus any stills I choose to take). I've used this in the lab and its pretty good, but we have a lot of light. The slow frame rate alone make make it poor for diving but its also an issue that it cannot do that an protune in that mode. I'm worried about it going all green on me (I'll be using a filter but still seems like auto is risky given what I've read). I don't have time/chance for uwater testing before hand and the tradeoff/choices between 2k/30 protune/raw and Simultaneous Video And Photo 1440p/24with 12Mp@5fps being unclear I'd figure I ask what the experienced users here have to say about it.

I'm also a a bit worried about the light levels needed for the 12MP in this mode (as I think it uses auto shutter which can be slow and hence blurry when its low light.)

So has anyone used this mode while diving.. what do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom