GoPro photo vs video screen shot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've had a good start with my GoPro Hero 11. It's paired with some older video lights and I'm pleased with the results. That said, my attempts at still photography underwater have been less good. Video screen shots have been better, so I'm wondering if that's the way to go? Either way, I know the images are never going to win any awards, these are simply holiday snaps. It's a come down from my "big rig", but still fun nonetheless. What do you think? Stills vs video screen shots? I'm shooting 4K/50fps.

A largely unedited video screen shot.

Screenshot-2023-07-19-at-16-16-04.jpg

A Gopro can take stills but that's not it's forte. For great stills, you want a camera where you can easily adjust manual settings like focus and work with a strobe. Tg-6 is a decent camera for the money. So my recommendation would be to either take snapshots from video or get a camera like a Tg-6. You could mount both on the same tray.

The biggest pita with stills from video is finding the frame you want to use. With photos, it's quick and easy to page through a folder of pics and view/delete them. It takes awhile to view a folder of videos looking for frames to export.

burst mode does slightly better if you want stills, downside is switching modes is tedious

i think with photgraphy or videoing you ned to decide what you want with regard to quality - no matter what you get your budget will never be big enough. the shot you posted is good and with some editing it could be better but does it really matter if you just want it for you holiday snaps ? I enjoy video my dive now and again and it's just for fun so my family and friends can enjoy it -thats enough for me

Thanks for replies. I've had a big camera rig before and have now downgraded. Any compact camera will be a let down after what I owned previously. It's just a question of the best way to extract still photos from a GoPro.

Back
Top Bottom