Worth upgrading my GoPro 7 Black to a current model GoPro 12?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I almost always take my DSLR setup with me when I travel (Canon 7D MKII, Nauticam Housing, fisheye and macro lenses, fisheye and macro ports, strobes, arms and video lights). I love it, but to be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of hauling all of this gear (I also bring my CCR).

Going to Bonaire in about a month - I have been many times. So I think that for this trip I'll just take my GoPro and the video lights with a tray.

I have a 7 Black. Does anyone think that it's worth it to upgrade to the Hero 12 black?

If you do something, I'd like to talk to you about your 7 Black. I invested heavily in an Isota housing a number of year back that is for that camera.... Trying to have a few spares on hand...

LMK...

There was a significant upgrade to image stabilization between the GoPro 8 and the GoPro 9. Whether or not the extra coin between the 9 and the 12 is worthwhile is up for debate, there is no doubt that the GoPro 7 is long past its prime.

Costco has the an 11 bundle at a pretty decent price right now. 2 batteries, case, handle and SD card. Better processor, better lens, better overall.

I went from a 7 to 11. I can't honestly say that the video quality is that much better, but some of the extra features on the 11 are nice to have. Right now, I'd buy an 11 if the price was right and skip the 12 altogether.

My next action cam may be a DJI. From what I've seen online, the Action 4 produces much better quality underwater footage than the recent GoPro cameras.

I went from a 7 to 11. I can't honestly say that the video quality is that much better, but some of the extra features on the 11 are nice to have. Right now, I'd buy an 11 if the price was right and skip the 12 altogether.

My next action cam may be a DJI. From what I've seen online, the Action 4 produces much better quality underwater footage than the recent GoPro cameras.
Interesting! I have a DJI drone, and the video quality seems pretty good. Did you have a link for a comparison page, or have you just seen them in action?

4 to 10 personally. From the research I remember, anything 9 and newer has a pretty good image stabilization that I have been impressed with. The rest of the upgrades are nice on paper but not really seen in real life.

I think you would see the benifits of updating from the 7 to a more modern (even a generation old) GoPro.

There must be a law in Bonaire against replacing the DSLR kit with a GoPro kit. I'd upgrade the Gopro and take both kits myself. Can't even imagine not taking my main camera with me to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom