Single 80 redesign?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add to the thought pool on changing the design of the tank, how about a plastic/fiberglass slip-over form that you slide the tank into. This would allow you to play with differing shapes easily and also try various methods of securing the tank 'shroud' to the BC/plate.

I have a quad 20's rig that I dive with a lot. Slightly less than 18 inches wide, 19 inches tall and 4.5" thick. Weighs about 25 pounds and sure is a lot more comfortable than a single 80.

got any pics of the setup???...would love to see.........

Just to add to the thought pool on changing the design of the tank, how about a plastic/fiberglass slip-over form that you slide the tank into. This would allow you to play with differing shapes easily and also try various methods of securing the tank 'shroud' to the BC/plate.
Watergill used to (1970's) sell a plastic fairing that went over a standard AL80 or steel 72 and also covered the wing on their AtPac. I have never played with mine much (bought used in the 1980's) as it seemed to be more bulk and weight than it was worth and by then no one who had one still dove one, which probably speaks volumes about their real life utility.

I have a quad 20's rig that I dive with a lot. Slightly less than 18 inches wide, 19 inches tall and 4.5" thick. Weighs about 25 pounds and sure is a lot more comfortable than a single 80.

I have to dig for pictures of that rig. I ran across pictures of my double 35's and double 40's not too long ago. I guess I need to create a gallery.

The problem with cylinders enclosed in a shroud is not only do you have to use energy to move the mass of the cylinders but also have the use energy to move the mass of the shroud and the water in it.

Yes, There is the added mass of the water between the tanks and enclosure but so far with side by side comparisons with similar capacity single tanks, everybody that tried them prefered my multiple tank rigs whether they were enclosed or not.

Back
Top Bottom