single or dual strobes w/ WAL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtnmn

Registered
Reaction score
My present setup is a C5050 w/ PT-015. I would like to upgrade by adding a wide angle lens - such as the Inon UWL-100, and a tray and strobe, such as the fisheye tray w/infinity arm and an Inon D180. Will a single strobe provide wide enough coverage for photos using the wide angle lens? The prospect of buying two strobes and arms is a bit expensive, although the prospect of only partially-lit photos isn't a whole lot better. :zap1: What experiences do folks have with single or dual strobes and a wide angle lens?

mtnmn:
My present setup is a C5050 w/ PT-015. I would like to upgrade by adding a wide angle lens - such as the Inon UWL-100, and a tray and strobe, such as the fisheye tray w/infinity arm and an Inon D180. Will a single strobe provide wide enough coverage for photos using the wide angle lens? The prospect of buying two strobes and arms is a bit expensive, although the prospect of only partially-lit photos isn't a whole lot better. :zap1: What experiences do folks have with single or dual strobes and a wide angle lens?

Ideally, 2 strobes are needed for full coverage with WAL's. But you can still take some striking photos with one strobe, you just have to know how to aim it and know it's limits. Yes, there will be some shots you just can't get but I think you'll be surprised what just one can do.

I'm only using one strobe. Money has alot to do with it but I also want to keep my rig small. My last film rig had dual strobes and it was like carrying a mad spider most of the time. There were lots of places I couldn't get to because of the size, I like macros and that second strobe was just in the way. Maybe you should ask yourself what shots you'll actually need 2 strobes for. I've found very few instances where I wish I'd had a second one.

The Inon is about the same coverage as my YS90DX. If I ever replace mine, I'll get the D-180. I'd suggest you get one strobe now and learn how to aim it properly, I still need work on that. Then you can add a second one 1) if you see you really need on and 2) when you can afford it.

Just my 2¢

Dee, thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear that one strobe should more or less work ok. You make a good point about size - I don't want my rig to be something that overwhelms my dive because it is so big. I think the article I saw recommending two strobes may have been for using the Inon dome lens with the wide angle lens. Do you use just a wide angle or wide angle and dome? Do you shoot wide angle more often than not?

Thanks!

Dee I just found your post. I wish I had read a little further before I replied to another post sorry about that. But I am sure I will do it again!

mtnmn:
Dee, thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear that one strobe should more or less work ok. You make a good point about size - I don't want my rig to be something that overwhelms my dive because it is so big. I think the article I saw recommending two strobes may have been for using the Inon dome lens with the wide angle lens. Do you use just a wide angle or wide angle and dome? Do you shoot wide angle more often than not?

Thanks!

sorry I missed this....

I use a S&S WA 'L' lens, no dome, with one strobe. I use the wide angle alot, mostly for wide angle close-ups and for reef shots, especially silhouettes. You have to be good at strobe placement when your lens and strobe both cover about 100º. I've got lots of WA shots with 'creative' lighting because I misjudged the strobe placement. Most I can crop a bit and save but I've trashed some otherwise great shots because of it. Just means you have to practice alot! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom