Single Video Light Positioning Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm a video newbie with a GoPro 3+ and a single Sola Video 1200. I've always positioned the light to shine in from the left and recently I've had someone comment that my videos have a fair bit of backscatter from particles and I agree.

Looking for any tips on where to position a video light when you can only afford one :( Would positioning it on top of the camera be more advantageous than from either left or right? I have it mounted on a tray with a single flex arm.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I shoot in very low vis and our rule is to position the light in the middle if we only have one. You'll have to experiment on the focal distance and also watch that you don't blow out the subject with too strong of a light.

Or the bottom...

y8aguna8.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/479172-new-go-pro-user.html#post7082607

Thanks all for the tips. Yes I know it'll take some experimenting to work things out, but at least for now I know to start with the light positioned some distance above the camera. With the flexarm setup, above is going to be easier than below :)

Lights should never be positioned in line with the port or you have back scatter, extend the arm as far away and hit the subject at an angle

Best tip for video with a single light is to shoot at very close range so that back scatter is not an issue however considering that this is a gopro and can't really shoot in those conditions the best tip is to buy a second light LOL

Lights should never be positioned in line with the port or you have back scatter, extend the arm as far away and hit the subject at an angle

Best tip for video with a single light is to shoot at very close range so that back scatter is not an issue however considering that this is a gopro and can't really shoot in those conditions the best tip is to buy a second light LOL

Do you mean do something like this (in the first diagram) without the second light?
https://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=15

I often film objects on a wreck at mid sort of distance, getting close probably isn't possible given the size of the item.

Will do plenty of experimenting!

Second light would be nice, except I'm not too happy with run time on the Sola 1200. If I get a "second" light, it'll be 2 new lights :( Wallet says "no". :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom