single wing locators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbf

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Tobin,

I have T17/SS plates/Hog harnesses for myself, my wife, and two daughters.

We just got back from Roatan and 5 of the 8 rubber locators have joined Davey Jones or maybe into the bilge (mine made it back).

I went to the bolt/screw place and bought myself two stainless 5/16 x 1/2" barrel bolts. I think that's wjat they're called - the bolt screws into a cylinder instead of into a nut. The have relatively flat heads. As an experiment I bolted the wing to the plate.

It looks like it will work really well, except you can't take it apart without a wrench. No different from doubles in that regard. That would be fine for our trips - leave it assembled while we're gone, take it apart when packing.

Before I go buy more of these ridiculously expensive bolts, is there any down-side you can think of (save the temptation to pick the rig up by the wing)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

brad

Hi Tobin,

I have T17/SS plates/Hog harnesses for myself, my wife, and two daughters.

We just got back from Roatan and 5 of the 8 rubber locators have joined Davey Jones or maybe into the bilge (mine made it back).

I went to the bolt/screw place and bought myself two stainless 5/16 x 1/2" barrel bolts. I think that's wjat they're called - the bolt screws into a cylinder instead of into a nut. The have relatively flat heads. As an experiment I bolted the wing to the plate.

It looks like it will work really well, except you can't take it apart without a wrench. No different from doubles in that regard. That would be fine for our trips - leave it assembled while we're gone, take it apart when packing.

Before I go buy more of these ridiculously expensive bolts, is there any down-side you can think of (save the temptation to pick the rig up by the wing)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

brad

Bolting your wing to your plate is *NOT Recommended*

Doing so defeats a KEY design element of the DSS system, being able to separate the plate and wing for transport, cleaning a storage.

The SINGLE most common cause of wing damage is from the plate being dropped on the wing. Separating the wing from the plate prevents this.

The rubber locators will remain in the wing, and will last a long time if used properly.

Review these videos for tips on how to use the locators.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/mountwing.html

https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/switchtanks.html

We get very few wings returned for repair, but most that need repair show signs of being *BOLTED* to the back plate.

If you need replacement locators send me a PM with your address.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin.

Ya know, the more I think about it, the less concerned I am with either bolts or rubber locators. The girls did most of the two weeks without either and it wasn't a problem. Maybe both bolts and rubber locators are solutions in search of a problem.

The wings get put on our plates when we get ready to dive at the destination, then come off the plates when we pack to go home - they stay on the plate for the duration of the trip. I take the wings off for travel, cleaning and storage. Wouldn't matter whether the little rubber thingy or bolts are on there, my practice would be the same.

Maybe you're telling me I should mend my ways and not leave them on the plate in the equipment room at the resort?

I've watched all your videos, and they're excellent (Most recently I watched the assembly one to make sure I was putting my bolts in the right places). I have no idea how the girls are dislodging the locators, but I picked them up off the deck twice before they finally disappeared...

Maybe both bolts and rubber locators are solutions in search of a problem.

The locators are simply a convenience, it's quite possible as you indicate to dive without them.

Maybe you're telling me I should mend my ways and not leave them on the plate in the equipment room at the resort?

I recommend removing the wings whenever there is a chance of the plate being dropped on the wings. The Kydex plates are less of a risk than the stainless plates.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom