Sinus Infection & Diving....HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OPrincess

Reaction score
I am on my second round of antibiotics for a sinus infection that won't go away. I'm also using Nasonex, Pseudovent, and Tylenol #3 as necessary for symptom relief.

My dive club is going on a camping/diving weekend and I'm still not feeling a lot of relief from my sinus infection. However, if I wake up tomorrow and feel pretty good - how harmful could it be for me to try to go diving (**Of course - I wouldn't take the Tylenol #3 anytime before the dive**) ?

I don't want to mess up my sinuses even more, but it's been 4 weeks since I've had a successful dive (I tried to dive after the first round of antibiotics - but the sinus pressure was too intense). I think I also feel pressured to dive because I'm going with a group - but like I said - my health comes first.

So - what do you think - should I just enjoy the camping? Or can I try a dive if I feel better in the morning?

Thanks!
~Amber

I'm also taking an antibiotic right now to see if it can clear up a stubborn middle-ear condition that has waxed and waned over the past few weeks. I reluctantly canceled a couple of trips I'd scheduled this weekend. Personally I wouldn't get back in the water while still on antibiotics, and given that the condition called for that level of treatment I'd want to be checked in person by a doc first.

Hi

I would not attempt to dive until you are off the antibiotics and able to equalize your ears. A lady blew out a ear drum with reverse squeeze coming up from 30 ft with her instructor two weeks ago. She told instructor about her sinus problem after she surfaced. It is well worth the time of getting totally over the infection before diving.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Others have given you good advice, don't dive if you are not 100% over your sinus infection. When I did my open water sessions I had a sinus infection in the making. I felt fine and didn't have any symptoms before diving. The first day I notice some blood in my mask after surfacing. my ascents/descents were slow and easy. The second day was miserable and felt like crap. I would routinely get one or two sinus infections a year, I finally went to see an ENT who was also a diver. I ended up having sinus surgery, my only regret was that I didn't have it done years before. I haven't had a single sinus infection since surgery and diving has been so much more enjoyable. Good luck.

and NEVER want to again.

I had one of the dreaded reverse blocks at 80' - nothing you can do about it other than ascend SLOWLY and hope it clears - while you're feeling like someone is inside your head with a sledge hammer on that side of your face.

It cleared and gave me a mask-full of blood when it blew out. Kept me out of the water for two weeks until it healed up.

I had no warning of trouble on the way down, and hadn't knowingly gone in the water with an infection or blockage.

I would not attempt it KNOWING you have sinus problems at the time you get wet - this was easily my most miserable ascent I've ever made; I thought my head was going to explode.

ColdH20diving once bubbled...
I ended up having sinus surgery, my only regret was that I didn't have it done years before. I haven't had a single sinus infection since surgery and diving has been so much more enjoyable.

Cold, just out of curiosity, what surgery did you have? A septoplasty (straightening a deviated septum), or something else?

I am so glad to read your comments because I was beginning to think that I am the only person with this problem. And getting a bit scared.

Please tell me about the surgery... since I may have to have it. And how it affected you.

My ENT does not know what to make of it. I am a 28 year old causasian woman living in Trinidad. He is suggesting surgery. But I feel like I dont know enough about what is happening to me.

I suffer from bad allergies.

In May 2002. The first time I had this symptom (blood coming down with mucus). I went diving for 20 mins to 30feet. I got out of the water my head feeling weird and within days the bleeding started. It lasted for almost a month. I took Avelox antibiotics. Then the bleeding receeded and eventually stopped.

This brings us to present day. May 2006. On a flight from Orlando to Trinidad had terrible pain on the last 1/2 hour (descent) flights Orlando - Miami and Miami - Trinidad. Back 4 days and bleeding started. Have been bleeding for about 12 days and it has receeded a lot. Almost completely stopped. Am on last day of avalox.

I explained all this history to my ENT and he did not link it to the diving and flying. He did not even mention the word "Barotrauma".

Some things I have read are putting me off of the surgery. I got back the report from the C.T. It said "Right concha bullosa". From looking up "Right concha bullosa" on the internet... it lead me to something called "Barotrauma" which is what I think I experienced.

Here is the C.T. report:

There is marked deviation of the nasal septum convex to the left. No other bony abnormality is seen. Minimal mucosal thickening identifed on the medial and posterior walls of the right maxillary sinus. The walls of the left maxillary sinus are clear. No fluid levels identified. The frontal sinuses are clear. The ethmoid air cells are clear. Marked opacity/opacification of the right side of the sphenoid sinus. Probable large sphenoid sinus polyp. No other focal abnormality is seen. Coronal views through the ostiomeatal complexes shows evidence of mucosal thickening involving the left maxillary sinus infundibulum causing minimal narrowing at this point. A right sided maxillary infundibulum is patent. Distortion of the right side uncinate process and right maxillary infundibulum by the presence of a moderate size right concha bullosa noted. This measure 1.7cm Cranio Caudal x 1cm Transverse x 1.1cm AP. Please Note this is a right-sided concha bullosa. No other focal abnormality identified.

any help or pointing in the right direction would help. I don't want to think that I can never dive or fly again. I could live without the diving but the flying?...

Have you ever heard of anyone having this problem?

Is the surgery necessary?

You can email me at v_trestrail@hotmail.com

Thanks!

I have been diving twice with sinus infections. Each time, it was more difficult to equalize, but it was definitely doable. It depends on the severity of the infection. If it is full blown (If you're weak, tired, horrible head pain) by all means avoid diving.

The sinus cavities are affected and controlled by the nervous system.

The cervical spine affects the nervous system. The vertebrae and their respective articulations\joints affect the nervous system. It all works together. Dysfunction in the spine can often cause sinus congestion, which degenerates into infection.

People think the neck vertebrae are dysfunctional only when they hurt. Wrong. The pain in the neck is only after the pt has allowed subluxation condition to go chronic. Most people have "stuck bones" with no awareness or pain whatsoever. Rather, they demonstrate symptoms like headache, tight musculature, earache, ear equalization disorder, tension, stress, sinus congestion, sore throat, dizziness, visual problems, etc.

The drugs treat the symptom. Notice the problem doesn't go away? The docs keep giving the pts more drugs. Then surgery? Barbaric.

Those "in the know" go to a chiropractor, and the sinus problem goes away, without drugs. The infections go away. The problems go away.

Then the diver can dive.

The infection is a SYMPTOM. The drugs treat the symptom, not the cause.

I get stories in the office all the time from people who have had this same problem over and over. Then they get their sinuses cut on. All these years, and I have never met a pt who was happy with the outcome of sinus surgery. The pain, the expense, the lack of results, more drugs. Don't you guys get tired of that?

Go get a good reputable chiro to work on your neck and upper back. Watch what happens to the sinuses. They get better. The infections go away. It's inexpensive, safe and health promoting.

Best of luck fellow divers. <grinning>

page crow DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom