Sinus pain on multiple dive days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adm3745

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a couple of concerns:

This has happened to me twice now over the last 8 months.

I dive 2-3 deep dives on Sat and feel fantastic. If I dive the following day, I cannot descend because I get a very sharp pain in my forehead, maybe as low as the upper nose. Why would this occur? What could cause this?

The following has also happened to me a few times:

The dive goes fantastic but towards the ascent prtion of the dive, my nose becomes very congested as if I were very sick. I can still equalize but there is just alot of congestion. Why would this happen and are is there any way to prevent this? It happens rarely but is concerning me a little now.

Anyone else have these problems?

I recently experienced a sinus squeeze for the first time in a few years of diving. Not sure what was goin on. You should probably speak with a doctor, as there could be many different causes. I'm sure many here have experienced similar issues to some degree or another, and for different reasons. Better to get some professional medical advice. I'm told sinus barotrauma is the most common dive injury. The tissues in our sinuses are very sensitive and can be aggravated very easily.

If it happens again, I planned to. My main concern is why it would only occur the day after a day of diving. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

I have the same problem and really looking forward to get advice on this matter.

sensitive sinuses , when you get out after diving probably , some wind and chill activates them, and they are clean after first day of diving , ready to inhale all that chill and congest again, simple solution, the magnificent baby decongestion drops ;p , i think :wink:

You may be having a degree of sinus barotrauma during the first day's diving, but it's not enough to cause symptoms. However, overnight, the injured tissue swells, and then the following day, the sinus ostia are narrower and harder to get air to pass through. A bit of barotrauma (perhaps from having to blow too hard to equalize?) might explain the nasal congestion, too -- or you might have some allergies to molds, dust, or something else you're being exposed to while in the diving environment, and this could also affect the sinus ostia.

You might consider a trip to the doctor, and a trial of something like nasal steroids on your next diving trip, to see if that helps. Using a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory after diving, if you have no other contraindications to it, might help as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom