Sinus problems????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haeussf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since about a year I'm having problem with my sinus (I assume it's the sinus). Especially if I go deeper than 70 feet or when I dive in colder water. It usually starts in the middle of the dive where pain goes from the neck towards the forehead. A couple time I used Sudafed and the pain almost disappeared. But Sudafed not always helps......
Any suggestions what this could be?

Since about a year I'm having problem with my sinus (I assume it's the sinus). Especially if I go deeper than 70 feet or when I dive in colder water. It usually starts in the middle of the dive where pain goes from the neck towards the forehead. A couple time I used Sudafed and the pain almost disappeared. But Sudafed not always helps......
Any suggestions what this could be?

Hi, haeussf.. welcome to the forum...!

It's hard to be too specific about symptoms over the Internet, but usually sinus pain doesn't involve the neck. Cold water itself can cause facial pain ("brain freeze") due to changes in circulation to the head and neck - are you wearing a hood or other exposure protection? Other posibilities are muscle strain or other soft tissue trauma (from poorly secured equipment, overly tight mask straps, etc...).

Barotrauma (such as pain from trapped air in the sinuses cavities that surround the nose) is usually experienced on descent or ascent, and relative pressure changes are actually less per foot the deeper you go. Also, barotrauma is not so commonly experienced in the middle of a dive, but if Sudafed helps, that does suggest trapped air somewhere..

And, as we almost always sign off these answers, "you might want to see an ENT doctor about that".. .especially if you have any nasal symptoms when not diving..

:)

Best,

Mike

Like Dr. Mike, I think something other than sinuses is more likely. Headaches that begin in the back of the head or base of the neck are often related to muscle tension, so I'd look at the position in which you carry your head, and whether you have any arthritic problems in your neck. The fact that Sudafed doesn't reliable affect the symptoms suggests, to me, that any improvement you see when you take it may well be random, and not related to the Sudafed at all.

Thanks Dr.Mike and TSandM for your reply.
I usually don't wear a hood. I thought about muscle tension/muscle strain and was wondering if the neck pain actually comes from my lower back. Had for about 15 Month a tear in a disc (lower back) and was wondering if this is a part of the problem. It took a while to recover and I thought I'm Ok.
Anyway, I probably start with a ENT doctor.......hopefully he can find something and I'm back in the water soon.
Thanks to both of you again.

Cold water itself can cause facial pain ("brain freeze")
Doc, could you go easy on us laymen with all the fancy technical jargon?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom