sinus surgery and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't dive for at least 2 months after having FESS (sinus surgery) and I was wondering if anyone else has had this surgery and how long they waited to dive again. The paperwork I got from the hospital says "no diving 2 months" and no trauma to the nose for at least 4 months. How painful was your first dive after surgery and should I wait longer. I did not have to clear on dives before so is this surgery going to affect that also?

Thanks,
Melissa

I'm no doctor, but I've had sinus surgery. They went in and reemed mine out. The doc signed me off to dive about three months out when I began OW training. I didn't have any pain nor any problems clearing due to sinus issues. I'm not sure what type of sinus surgery you had or if it's similar to mine.

they took out the small bones in the sinus cavity and put something in to keep the passage open then they made the area bigger (roto-rutted) . I had a sinus infection for just over 2 months before the surgery.

After my first OW dives, I had barotrauma and after a visit to the ENT was advised I should have my adnoids removed. Well, anything to keep diving, right? It took several months after that surgury for things to get back to normal. I wasnt good enough to dive for about three months. Luckily it was winter.:wink: But it has really helped!

ch0ppersrule:
they took out the small bones in the sinus cavity and put something in to keep the passage open then they made the area bigger (roto-rutted) . I had a sinus infection for just over 2 months before the surgery.

Sounds like your surgery was a wee bit more intense than mine was.

Hi ch0ppersrule,

Given the nature of the surgery, the two month delay before return to scuba indicated by hospital paperwork would be considered the minimum wait. The patient will then want to be re-examined by their ENT to obtain clearance to dive.

The diver whose surgery was successful and has healed completely would have no reason to anticipate either discomfort upon diving nor the development of difficulty with equalization.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice with you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi ch0ppersrule,

I had a septoplasty and volmer ethmoidal excision in Febraury and have since returned to diving, with no problems. I had an appointment with ENT after 3 months to check everything had healed properly and as it had, I was given the all-clear to dive.

Prior to the operation, I was getting a lot of pain in my face, associated headaches and the occasional reverse block whilst diving. It turned out I had a deviated septum, which was getting worse and the airways were nearly closed over. So they scraped the cartilage to ensure it was straight (septoplasty), and additionally removed a "spare" bone at the back to ensure the airway was nice and open (volmer ethmoidal excision). They don't often do the v-e-e but as I'm a diver, and having an open airway is very important for equalising, they did.

Sounds like your operation was a bit more intense though - you should be fine, as long as you wait to get the "all clear" from your doctor! :)

Thanks to all who replied. I suppose after my 2-3 month wait I won't feel as anxious as I do this soon after surgery.

Thanks again,
Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I much suspect that is true.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom