Sinusitis bleeding. Is it really good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hasbi

Reaction score
Hi,

I have sinusitis problem for a long time. Since it was just some small headaches till during my dives, I didn't consider it as an important issue.

But for more than a year, sinuses began to bleed after my first dives. When this happens, I feel really good (no headaches) on my next 3-4 days but when after a month or so the headaches begin again. Especially when I catch flu, it is sometimes really disturbing even in my daily life.

I want to learn if bleeding the sinuses while diving, clears them out of some sort. I feel so, because the aches go off after bleeding. But maybe I am doing harm to myself, I don't know.

I'm certainly no doctor, but I'd say that blood coming out of your body is bad, ok?
Maybe you could send an email to DAN "ask a medic." I'd think they'll say something similar. In the mean time, someone more knowledgable is sure to chime in here. Good luck.

Not having sinusitis problem and not bleeding is of course the best :) But I wonder if bleeding is some kind of temporary cure for sinusitis like an operation cleaning the sinus entrance.

I'd guess the relief is more related to pressure, than to bleeding. A consult with an ENT would be my suggestion.

I've always considered bleeding to be a bad thing.
Hi,

I have sinusitis problem for a long time. Since it was just some small headaches till during my dives, I didn't consider it as an important issue.

But for more than a year, sinuses began to bleed after my first dives. When this happens, I feel really good (no headaches) on my next 3-4 days but when after a month or so the headaches begin again. Especially when I catch flu, it is sometimes really disturbing even in my daily life.

I want to learn if bleeding the sinuses while diving, clears them out of some sort. I feel so, because the aches go off after bleeding. But maybe I am doing harm to myself, I don't know.

If you can, I would go get it checked-out. What I thought was just a worse than usual flare-up of my allergies, turned out to be a pretty serious infection requiring some pretty nasty and expensive (luckily covered by insurance) antibiotics. So, better to find out now, before, like me, you're forced to be on dry land for a while.

My ENT never thought bleeding was a good idea. :D

I'd suggest seeing a doctor. There's really no way to know what's bleeding without having someone take a look.

Who knows, they might even be able to make it feel better permanently!

Terry

Hasbi, please see a doctor for evaluation of your sinusitis. This might involve allergy testing or, if an infection is present, a course of antibiotics. If you get the appropriate treatment, you may not have to deal with the sinus squeeze. Take care.

I had the same issue with my sinuses, I was getting forehead aches, and then blood after that. Eventually I have been able to get rid of this problem just by analyzing why would it happen and taking appropriate steps. I'm no way a doctor and just telling what helped me.

My understanding is that if the path is stuck and the air cannot move easily inside the vessels inside will tear up and the blood will take the place of the air that is inside the sinuses as the air compresses. During this times you will feel the pain. After you come up after the dive the air will expand and will push the blood out. They usually healed quickly on me with no major problem.

So the way to avoid the problem is to have sinuses clear and in case I feel any sign of aching I blow into my nose while having it close. I do it very gentle increasing the pressure little by little so even the sinuses are blocked the air still gets through. In the long run you need to find out why your sinuses are blocked. It can be some chronic illness or allergies. Visit a doctor and do a checkup.

Hmm... The general idea is 'bleeding is a bad thing'. When I have time, I will see a doctor as you all say. Thanks everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom