Sipadan banned freediving since 19/4/2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

apedai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Violators will be fined MYR 3,000, and the dive operator will also be fined.

Because some free divers rushed into the school of fish for take pictures, which caused dissatisfaction among scuba divers, they lodged a complaint with the local government.

1681970014031.png

Wonderful as they're a menace to the reefs with their elongated fins and it will be nice not seeing any of them during my May trip to Sipadan.

Free divers are usually people who can't afford scuba and want to spear fish (steal fish) AKA bums

Nope, at least in china, usually they are young lady who want take beautiful picture in the ocean. the couse and gear my gf (freediving) paid is higher than mine (scuba).

Hi

The sea does not belong only to certain scuba divers:sadness:

It would have been wiser to put notices prohibiting scaring and rushing into schools of fish and to ban offenders

The long flippers which are a danger for the coral reefs…Ah the awful legends 🤣

Will this extend to snorkelers… who are also significant commercial resources? :clearmask:

regards:cheers:

PS
It will also be necessary to prohibit predators (sharks, barracudas, dolphins, etc.) which melts a lot … much more damage in the schools of fish :narcosis:

#4 Richard ?
NO
I remember in 1679 when I started Scuba, I could only stay 25 min at -40 m.
My longest snorkel was 8 hrs (exactly 7:57 recorded on my computer) at Shark's Bay Red sea
Less freediving logistics
Easier approach to wildlife wildlife is not scared away by bubbles
Please a little empathy, to each his own

Will this extend to snorkelers… who are also significant commercial resources
I heard sipadan never allowed freediving before. freediver enter it by attend snorkel group.

And now some freediver still diving in sipadan, I'm not sure the local goverment will fine them or not.

This is stupid! How , and who in their right mind , automatically thinks that people without tanks on their backs , are all of a sudden going to be less intrusive to sea life? Because I don't carry a tank on my back , it some how offends / pisses off people who do? Who gave anybody the authority to try and tell me how to fish , and to tell me what makes me comfortable in the water? My freedom is diving without tanks , and this type of diving some how irritates guys with tanks? Why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom