Sipadan camera ban - did it ever happen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There was much talk last year about a planned camera ban for Sipadan. Did this ever get implemented? I'm thinking of heading there in a few weeks but won't bother if there is one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cheers. I'll book it then. Glad they haven't introduced the ineffective and commercially idiotic idea!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What makes you think it's a commercially idiotic idea? For that matter, what makes you think the marine park cares about it even if it was a commercially idiotic? They are not running a business. Come to think of it, what makes you think it would be ineffective too? Completely eliminating diver damage to reefs obviously wouldn't happen but I bet it would improve the situation greatly. That's effective, no?

Not only does the park not care, the individual businesses that send divers to the park also might not care. There is excess demand, as we know, since spots are rationed. They can probably fill their allotments with divers, regardless of any camera restrictions.

What makes you think it's a commercially idiotic idea? For that matter, what makes you think the marine park cares about it even if it was a commercially idiotic? They are not running a business. Come to think of it, what makes you think it would be ineffective too? Completely eliminating diver damage to reefs obviously wouldn't happen but I bet it would improve the situation greatly. That's effective, no?

Rather than papering over the cracks targeting a small demographic in terms of damage and number to be blunt if they want to do something *effective* to save the reef then just banning Koreans or Chinese would do it!

Far far far more damage is caused by atrocious divers (and guides that dont give a toss allowing it) crashing into, holding and kicking coral than people with cameras.

A sane option would be an impartial assessment of a divers ability before allowing them to go (AND guides should be assessed). Banning a minority of people who contribute relatively little damage whilst allowing the biggest destroyers to continue solves nothing

Gotchya. We obviously have different perceptions.

There was never any ban. It was something that was brought up in 1 meeting and then forgotten about...some jackass got a hold of the story and announced it's "impending introduction" last year and was corrected. I thought this was put to bed already.

Back
Top Bottom