Sir Arthur C Clarke, Diver, writer of dive books ( and a few SciFi books)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Sir Arthur C. Clarke, Author of over 100 books, died on March 19, 2008 at the age of 90

Before he wrote about outer space and scifi he was a pioneer diver and wrote
about diving, his most popular book was possibly "The Reefs of Taprobane."

A list of his books and dates published are as follows:
The coast of Coral - 1955
The Reefs of Taprobane - 1956
The first five fathoms - 1960
The challenge of the sea - 1960
Indian Ocean adventure -1964
Treasure of the great reef - 1964
Indian Ocean treasure - 1964

The Nerve! The Audacity of Sir Arthur! He did not have a PADI specialty to allow him to dive and write about his underwater adventures...The horror of it all!

I was fortunate to have corresponded with Sir Arthur on numerous occasions during and after the publication of his diving orientated books. He was kind enough to send me inscribed book plates for all his diving books. Possibly the only complete set in the US.

SDM

His work was extraordinary and his vision remarkable. Many things he said and wrote stay with his audience... I have a little collection of them in case I need to pull one out and let it flap in the breeze sometime. Thought for today: [SIZE=+0][SIZE=-1]"If I was a religious person, I would consider creationism nothing less than blasphemy. Do its adherents imagine that God is a cosmic hoaxer who has created that whole vast fossil record for the sole purpose of misleading mankind?"[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Disappointed that I had to learn this here on ScubaBoard instead of through my news sources so thanks for posting Sam

Dr. SAM,

Thanks for this post. Arthur C. Clark was one of the first authors that I read as a kid concerning diving. He helped get me excited about diving, and about space exploration (remember 2001, A Space Odyssey?). I remember on one of his undersea adventures they were using U.S. Divers Company double hose regulators, the Jet Air plastic regulator. I see that there is a bunch of reading to catch up on too.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom