Sister Islands Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billinwilliamston

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My bride and I are heading to GCM in September and are toying with the idea of spending a few days on one of the sister islands. When possible we prefer shore diving over boat diving. Are there many options for shore dives on Little Cayman or the Brac?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

Cayman Brac was damaged during Hurricane Paloma last fall. Hit especially hard was Brac Reef Resort. The last I heard it was scheduled to re-open in late 2009. This quote is from the official Cayman Islands website and applies to every property on Cayman Brac:
Accommodations in Cayman Brac are currently closed to visitors due to restoration associated with Hurricane Paloma.
Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

Brac Reef has a similar message on their site:
Brac Reef

Sort of surprised you hadn't heard that living on Grand Cayman. Or is that wishful thinking...lol

Last edited:
No one can predict the future, but since you are not planning to go until September, there is a good chance you will be able to.

We have confirmed reservations for lodging and diving with some of the smaller operations on the Brac in June.

Shore dive opportunities in the Brac exist, but much of the island water's edge is "iron shore" - not too conducive for entries / exits. Radar reef and the site of the old Buccaneer Hotel are both easy entries, well known, and popular for shore diving. The latter allows a swim to the destroyer.

Enjoy.

On Little Cayman, all the sites in Bloody Bay & Jacksons are accessible from the shore.

Hi,

Cayman Brac was damaged during Hurricane Paloma last fall. Hit especially hard was Brac Reef Resort. The last I heard it was scheduled to re-open in late 2009. This quote is from the official Cayman Islands website and applies to every property on Cayman Brac:

Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

Brac Reef has a similar message on their site:
Brac Reef

Sort of surprised you hadn't heard that living on Grand Cayman. Or is that wishful thinking...lol

It is VERY wishful thinking...

I checked with Cayman Brac Scuba Diving Vacation Condominium Rental Accommodations (Brac Caribbean & Carib Sands). Their home page states "We are still planning on opening in mid-2009". I asked if that date was going to slip past our late September arrival, here is the response I got:

"Hi Bill,
We can not say for sure as I know you understand.
We are currently booking for the new Hotel Alexander which is across road from beach at Foster Corners.
We will be able to get diving as always with Reef Divers if you may consider that option.
I am going to meet with parties concerned on Friday of this week and may have more info for you next week.
Reggie"

While the answer wasn't the greatest, I have to give them credit for replying in less than an hour.

On Little Cayman, all the sites in Bloody Bay & Jacksons are accessible from the shore.

How easy is it to get tanks and dive site info? My husband and I were considering going to Little Cayman, but the thought of paying a lot of $ to boat dive has really turned us off. Our last two trips have been to Curacao and Bonaire and we really prefer shore diving. I'd really like to go to Little Cayman, but the boat diving thing has been a show stopper. I'd reconsider if it were reasonably easy to shore dive.

Let me get this straight. . .you are flying from Detroit to Grand Cayman then from GCM over to LC . . . and thought of paying $75.00 for a two-tank boat dive is keeping you from going? LC has some of the best wall diving in the world! Your logic escapes me entirely.

Well I was thinking the same thing. I like shore diving and the freedom of it. I am not familiar with Caymans and am just starting my research. Are there good dives from shore? Are there tanks and trucks available as on Bonaire?
The great wall dives by boat will be an added treat.
Thanks

Let me get this straight. . .you are flying from Detroit to Grand Cayman then from GCM over to LC . . . and thought of paying $75.00 for a two-tank boat dive is keeping you from going? LC has some of the best wall diving in the world! Your logic escapes me entirely.

Is the diving really that much cheaper on LC? $75 (especially if you're talking US) is way cheaper than a two tank on GC. I was expecting more like $90 - $100 CI.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom