Size comparison of EPL1/2 vs XZ1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For you pros that have actually tested the above, is there that much a difference in size and weight between these two, especially for underwater use. It seems the price for the XZ1 and EPL1 is about the same ($499 at the OLY site). The EPL1/2 seems to be optically a much better system with a bigger sensor and much more options. The advantage of the XZ1 would seem to be for size.

I'm not a pro, and haven't used both housings, but I'll answer anyway because I think the question needs some framing.

If you are going to use strobes, the difference in the housing sizes will not make much of a difference. When I swap in my G9 with it's small canon housing on my e-pl1 rig (2 tiny s2000's) I don't see much difference in handling underwater. Well actually, I much prefer the ergonomics of the e-pl1 housing.

If you want wide angle, I believe that the dome / 9-18 mm lens option of the e-pl1 is a lot lighter and probably just as compact as using the heavy external oly wet lens.

Quality of the camera/sensor question aside, strobes can be removed for shooting without, but a camera housing cannot be made smaller. N

I guess I will just have to find a place that has both of them, and compare in my own hands.

Frank (Underwater)-- I clicked on your photos--your set up with the double strobes and focus light would be way too cumbersome fo me. I use only one strobe and probably will add a focus light. I really don't use a lot of macro settings. Mostly wrecks and snapshot stuff to put in scrapbooks and show friends.

Nemrod--I was just trying to figure out really how much bigger the EPL1 set up is compared to the XZ1. The thought process was that if they were reasonably similar, the EPL1/2 might make for a more usable travel camera---smaller than a DSLR, but better quality than a P&S.

I guess I will just have to find a place that has both of them, and compare in my own hands.

Frank (Underwater)-- I clicked on your photos--your set up with the double strobes and focus light would be way too cumbersome fo me. I use only one strobe and probably will add a focus light. I really don't use a lot of macro settings. Mostly wrecks and snapshot stuff to put in scrapbooks and show friends.

I added a picture of a one strobe configuration. It is more compact than the dual strobes.
Scuba Diving

400-3311997.jpg

This is with the larger Zen dome.
Let us know what you decide.

I saw them at the Long Beach Aquarium's Diver's Day. Olympus had a table showing both of them. The XZ-1 is definitely smaller and lighter. It really comes down to 1) How much do you want to spend? The base price difference is at least $400 for the camera and housing 2) Are you really going to buy extra lenses for the EPL-2?

Dpreview gives this opinion of the XZ-1
"In fact, many people considering a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera may find they're better served by the XZ-1, if they're not serious about buying additional lenses."

After talking to the Olympus guys, I bought the XZ-1. The batteries are being charged right now! :D I'm not really that serious about my pictures and will probably only use 1 strobe.

Nemrod--I was just trying to figure out really how much bigger the EPL1 set up is compared to the XZ1. The thought process was that if they were reasonably similar, the EPL1/2 might make for a more usable travel camera---smaller than a DSLR, but better quality than a P&S.

I believe the size different ends up being pretty small...yes the XZ-1 is smaller, but does that difference make that much difference in carrying around and diving. My guess is that it would not.

But there is a huge difference in what type of images each is best at. If all you are going to do is leave the stock lens on the EPL and leave the flat port, would suggest they you get the XZ-1... as it is has a much better feature set.

On the other hand, if you are dying to shoot those wide angle dome images, then for gosh sake, if you can afford it, get the camera and case, replace the flat port with a dome and get yourself a wide angle lens...

If you are going to shoot a lot of natural light images.. then the really fast XZ-1 would be better...

Once you start buying add on lens to the XZ-1, it will not take much to get to the price of the dome/wide angle lens.

The oly add on wet lens for the XZ-1 seems to work, but it is very heavy, so size wise, it may not be better than the EPL series.

Thanks for the input. The XZ1 is probably all I need, but the appeal of having the larger sensor of the EPL series is intriguing---probably my Tool Time Binford--bigger,better, stronger mentality. In reality, about 80% of my photos are snapshot quality, done for memory keepsakes---wow---look at that fish, or what a cool wreck type stuff.

At present, I use a OLY 8000 with the OLY housing for travel, plus a Nikon Coolpix that has a 10X zoom as a land back up. Both are pocket cameras that are very convienent for travel. I never travel with my DSLR OLY---too big for what I really need, especially carrying all your dive gear as well.

I will try to find both together some where and play with them. From what you all have told me, probably the XZ1 is all I need, but my Binford mentality cries out for the EPL!

... In reality, about 80% of my photos are snapshot quality, done for memory keepsakes---wow---look at that fish, or what a cool wreck type stuff...
That remaining 20% of your pictures is a LOT of pictures in the digital age. With a system that allows creativity and flexibility, I can see it going up way higher than 20%.
You win no matter which direction you go. Happy shopping.

I had the Binford mentality for the sensor size too and was inching toward the Sony Nex-5.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg
But reality hit me with the price of the housing and add ons. I had to do a reality check and figured out that all I needed was a good replacement for my C5050 that was smaller with more bells and whistles. I'd say the EPL-2 housing is bigger than the C5050.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom