Sizing of New BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a Hollis ST Travel system at a labor day sale event at my LDS. As I was speaking with the sales rep I decided to go with this one because it had a smaller bladder. I'm a short and lightweight person so I don't use that much lead nor would I need much lift anyway. In short, this would fit my dive profile. As I didn't have much time as I was making my purchase, I said I would come back to get it properly sized.

At home, I noted that it was size Medium/Large. I made my own adjustments to it so that I would be able to reach the backplate by reaching one arm over my back as I have seen many YouTubers demonstrate. However, looking at the amount of loose webbing from the shoulders (see attached photo), I feel like this might be an entanglement hazard. Is there a solution to this without having to return it, or should I exchange it for a size small?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_111319514.jpg
    IMG_20230904_111319514.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 70
I would check if you can exchange it for a smaller size. If the shop won't work with you on that, then you can simply cut the webbing shorter, and if you really want the ring at the end you can just hand-sew it into the new webbing end...or take it to seamstress/tailor/sail shop/parachute rigging shop (think small local airfield) and have the ring professionally sewn in, should cost $5 to $10 (or less) to have done.

-Z

I think that you have it set up too tight. Don't cut any webbing until you try it out in the water. That said, I would exchange it for a smaller size if possible.

And to be clear, this isn't the sizing of the BPW, it's the sizing of the harness. There are so many hardness solutions and not all of them have sizes, they are just cut to size. If you like the BPW and they won't work with you on the harness, cut it or replace just the harness.

I would check if you can exchange it for a smaller size. If the shop won't work with you on that, then you can simply cut the webbing shorter, and if you really want the ring at the end you can just hand-sew it into the new webbing end...or take it to seamstress/tailor/sail shop/parachute rigging shop (think small local airfield) and have the ring professionally sewn in, should cost $5 to $10 (or less) to have done.

-Z

Shoe and luggage repair shops also have the heavy duty machines for such stitching.

Back
Top Bottom