Skanky LDS behaviour...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Om3ga*wolf_1362...

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i was at a lds today, looking to get some slingshot fins...
now these fins are about £99.00 over here, but the guy in the shop said he had them for £119.00 and some pence, he then said he would do them for me at £98.00
:shakehead:
i still got them coz "hey a pounds a pound at the end of the day" and i guess i'm saving on p+p...

i guess what i'm asking is, is this a common pratice?, and if so what's your story...

i didn't buy them on-line because i tried the shops demo pair down the pool, and i thought i'd return the favour by putting some money their way...

anyhows, thanks for reading this rant,
and your posted stories may stop the grinding noises i can hear coming from between my ears...

business as usual to me...

Dont worry... you could've taken a Much bigger hit than that... , good news is Your Here! :) , and being here leads to being informed, and in Informed consumer is the shyster's Bane...

Read read an read, there are many diamonds in the rough

Dive smart

It has been my experience that there is such a huge mark up on scuba gear... I have yet to pay "full" price for anything I have bought at my favorite LDS and I think that has a lot to do with the mark up. The shop owner can put what ever price they choose on something, and then "knock off a few bucks" (or pounds in your case) to make you feel like he's giving you a good deal. My advice is to do your research before you go into the LDS and that way you know whats fair.

Good on you for buying from the LDS after they let you try it out. I hear too many stories of folks trying stuff on at the LDS and then buying online. I think that is absolutely deplorable.

Just my 2 cents...

It doesn't sound unusual to me. As a matter of fact, I think it's quite common- especially if you are a repeat customer or are buying a large package. One shop I deal with gives me a competitive discount without having to ask for it, simply because I'm a repeat customer.

It pays to be a smart shopper and know how the online prices compare. Most of the places that I deal with are willing to make a competitive offer. The prices might not be as low as online, but I don't pay shipping and the money spent locally helps me get airfills locally.

bmcsteve, i'm glad you like that i bought from the guys that let me try-out in the pool, but right here, right now i feel like a total mug...

do it easy, i like to think i put a fair few pennys their way, but the fact that i also have gear that wasn't brought from them seems to have rubbed the lady of the shop the wrong way...

now you lot seem to be on point so i'll ask you this, there's a lds closer to my house that sells
apexs kit, could they look after my aqualung stuff> parent company and all that,
or would it be more trouble than it's worth?...

i'd just like to say that i mean aqualung regs - titan lx supreme's+mikron,

The pool thing is very cool ...

A LDS has to make money to keep it's door open ... period! But you have the right to walk in and ask can they do any better on the price ... because you can get it for $$$ and you rather buy it from them ... if they help great if they don't try, buy it elsewhere. Remember they might be higher on their discounted price ... they have a building, electric, phone everything they have set expenses to open the door every day. If you have a problem, or need training remember the LDS is there. Try getting help from the mail order company.

If you want to ever advance in your training ... ever have a problem you need help with ... need it now ... LDS!

Alot of shops won't even let you try stuff in the pool ... so that said I think they are pretty fair. That says a lot to me.

If the other shop handles Apex they will be able to get Divers parts they should be able to. But who has parts in stock when you need them? If you don't mind waiting for parts then it's no big deal. But before you switch ask them to let you try something in the pool.

Any store that lets you try before you buy is using good business sense. As far as discounts go, always give your LDS first chance on matching prices. Most of them will do their best because they not only want your business, but more importantly, they want your repeat business. Even if they cannot match an online price exactly, still try to do business with them. It's worth a few extra $$$ to know that if you ever have a problem, the shop you support will be there to support you too. Price alone should not be the deciding factor.
Good Luck,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

A small shop having a higher price isn't necessarily the sign of a scam. Small businesses often miss out on discounts that larger retailers can take advantage of. Your LDS might like to be able to afford to order a hundred units of a particular item in order to get a great price break, but may not have either the space or the budget to do so. He also has to set his prices based on what he calculates he needs to get in order to maintain solvency. A larger shop often moves a better volume of merchandise, meaning also that they can afford to sacrifice per-unit profit in favor of per-week profit.

If the small shop owner has had a good week, he may be more willing to give a better discount to a customer, knowing he's already covered his costs. If he's had a particularly bad week, he might give a discount because ANY sale is better than none. In my experience, too, a small shop is far more likely to value your individual business, and offer better customer service, because they are more aware of their need for you, the customer. While my experience with dive shops is still minimal and fairly new, I've found with bike shops that the small, locally-owned store takes good care of me, and is much more likely to give an off-the-cuff discount at the register than the big chain bike shops in town. I might still pay a bit more at the local shop, but IMNSHO it's worth it to know they're going to take care of me when I need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom