Slave Strobe on an Olympus C-4040?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are retiring a Bonica King Snapper and Strobe for our new Olympus C-4040 Digital Camera. Can we use the slave strobe from our Bonica snapper on the C-4040? I was not sure if the timing would be off?
:eek:ut:

Originally posted by triggertravel
We are retiring a Bonica King Snapper and Strobe for our new Olympus C-4040 Digital Camera. Can we use the slave strobe from our Bonica snapper on the C-4040? I was not sure if the timing would be off?
:eek:ut:

AFAIK, all digital cameras have a pre-flash which allows the camera to 'set' the internal flash. The strobe you use needs to be designed for the pre-flash feature, such as the S&S YS90DX and Ikelite digital strobes.

You don't say which housing you're using but the PT-010 does not have a hot wire. Any strobe used will slave off the internal flash via a fiber optic cable (YS90DX) or a slave sensor (Ikelite).

Hi trigger,

Unfortunately, your Bonica strobe will not work with the OlyC4040Z because of the pre flash issue. Actually, some digicam comes with preflash and some don't, the Oly c4040z has a pre flash features which measures the available light prior to exposure. I have a feeling even if you managed to make the Bonica strobe fire, the timing will be completely off. The Bonica strobe will probably fire even before the shutter opens resulting to poor lit image.

There are several strobes in the market that will work with the olyc4040z. As Dee mentioned, there's the Sea and Sea YS()DX, Ikelite DS50 or DS 125 or the INON D-180. I have not used any Ikelite DS strobes but I have used the Sea and Sea YS90DX. The YS90DX comes with a lot of cool feature like the 12 step lighting adjsutment, strobe comaptibilty with either MotorMarine, Nikonos or any housed SLR that comes with a five pin sycn port. You will need a fiber optic cable kit for the Ys90DX to really sync it with the internal flash.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

If U can set the OLY to manual mode & set autofucos to off(i.e. pre-fucos to a certain distance) then I think your existing slave flash will work.

I have tried this setup in my Canon S30/housing & my old sealife dual slave flash. The Sealife slave flash synced in speeds of upto 1/400. Any other setting in the S30 other than manual will not work, but will trigger the slave flash just the same.

Downside is, exposure control is very limited. YS90DX is still in my wish list.

let us know if this works in the OLY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom