Slides to CDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have hundreds, maybe low thousand of u/w slides from when I did alot of u/w photo. I want to get them onto CDs. Doesn't Kodak or some of the other photo companies offer that kind of service? If anyone has used it, did they turn out fine on the CD and did you get your slides (even if copies) back? Thanks.

I have well over 5000 U/W slides. Commercial scanning was way too expensive to do them all. There are specialized slide scanners on the market now for under $800. If you have the time to do them that looked to me to be the best way to go several years ago when a professional grade slide scanner was still well over $1500. It looks like a better way now.

FT

carlislere once bubbled...
I have hundreds, maybe low thousand of u/w slides from when I did alot of u/w photo. I want to get them onto CDs. Doesn't Kodak or some of the other photo companies offer that kind of service? If anyone has used it, did they turn out fine on the CD and did you get your slides (even if copies) back? Thanks.

I've done it with prints but never with slides. I doubt Wal-mart or Walgreens could do it but you might check with a local photo shop.

My crappy scanner has a light box for negatives and transparent positives. I tried it on a negative and it worked fairly well. Unfortunately my limitation is that the scanner sucks...

Anyway... I started working on some old negatives of my grandfathers [from the 50s]. The light box wasn't designed for that size.

I found a lightbox that was flat [~ 1/2 thick] that fit perfect on the scanner. I'm not exactly sure what the brand was, but I can dig it up if you need. I bought it at Charettes [who have a website as well]

A couple of years ago I purchased a Polaroid neg/slide scanner, and it works an absolute charm.

My first effort was a flatbed scanner (AU$150) which had a light box for neg scanning. It was useless.

Next effort was a cheap (AU$450) negative scanner, which worked OK, but the colour definition was very ordinary.

Third and final effort was the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, a 4000dpi negative and slide scanner. Cost AU$4000, but it should have been my first purchase.

There are a lot more around now, at much more reasonable prices. But if you plan on buying one, make sure that it has a slide tray which can hold at least 4 or 5 slides at once - it will cut down on time/effort required.

As far as resolution goes, a 2000dpi scanner will give you prints up to about 15"x10". If you want to make larger prints, or blow up a small part of a photo, make sure to get a 4000dpi scanner.

Hi
I guess it all depends on what resolution you want your pictures at. Depending on how large you want to print out your pictures, you might want to consider one of the more expensive options and scan your own slides using either a poldaroid sprintscan 4000 or a nikon ls-4000. This will give a scan with a 20 x 24 200 dpi jpeg. If you just want to scan the slides in fast with a resolution of 200 dpi for a 10 x 7 jpeg then maybe consider getting a nikon coolpix 995 with a slide adaptor. I've found that this makes scanning really fast..I could probably scan 200 slides in about 45mins or so.
My $0.02
:bonk:

I looked into this recently and talked with a good photo store in my area. Kodak offers a service to put slides onto a Photo CD Master Disc. It can be expensive. I think $1 per slide.

There are two flavors of Photo CD Master Disc. The regular kind and the "Pro Photo CD Master Disc". The regular one comes with images in 5 different resolutions for each slide. The Pro CD adds a 6th resolution that is a huge 72 MB file. There is more information on the Kodak web site. It will probably take you a while to find it.

I have not tried this Kodak service so I can't say anything about it. I've also been looking at inexpensive scanners, but haven't bought one.

We use Imagers here in Atlanta:

http://www.imagers.com

Fast, professional, good hi-res scans. They will also do hi-res scans of negatives and prints.

~SubMariner~

I've not had the pleasure of converting slides (positives) to data. But I have done the film (negatives) to data conversion. All I can say is that it is "acceptable". I imagine that the higher the film quality and the better the resolution in the conversion - the better the results. I'm afraid that I also cannot speak from deep experice, but my technology background leads me to this deduction. In any case - it's not cheap unless you make the election at the time of development (I guess it's an incentive?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom