Slow Down!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but that doesn't mean I don't like to make my sailboat go fast.

I suppose I'm very process oriented. I get very upset at my SigOthr for cutting the grass "wrong". I can spend hours hyper-focussing on polishing my truck to a mirror shine, where the tiny marks or innumerable stone chips on the windshield irk me no end.

Am I a DIR-candidate???

I can spend the entire dive in a very small area. Looking at all the macro life that you would otherwise blow by takes time. If your relaxed enough with your attitude, the dive will be more enjoyable, plus you will see A LOT more wildlife.

At least that's my mindset.

We did two shore dives this morning. Both dives were right about the same depth except the first dive required more swiming. Our first dive lasted 56 minutes, the second dive lasted 71 minutes. I swim slow, very slow usually. But we were swiming almost the entire dive. So even relaxed swiming really burns up the air compared to just checking out a reef in a small area.

I love the stinkpot/sailboat analogy, that's perfect.

that was eloquent.

try using the frog kick. Execute one kick and glide until you come to a full stop, then do another kick. Gentle and easy is the way to do this. Diving never needs to be faster than this unless there is an OOA etc etc.

I've dove with a couple of people who just seem to want to swim underwater, one of whom, decided it would be a good idea in 6ft vis, he just swam off without even looking back and I couldn't catch him before he was out of sight.

I don't dive to swim, I'm in no rush, and I find very few attributes more frustrating in a buddy. Just my 2c.

I forgot how nice it is just to hover in one spot and check out the life in a small area. It gives me a chance to work on buoyancy control and check out all the goodies in one little area with my light. The majority of people i go diving with never stop to check things out. It probably doesnt help most of them cant hover or stop finning to save their lives :D and im by far no expert myself but i give it a good try.....lol. Its always challenging for me to dive with someone that has good buoyancy skills as it gives me the chance to try and maintain my trim and buoyancy as good as them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom