Slow Down!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like a car, the faster you go the less efficient you are, regardless of how fit you are.
Most cars are most efficient in 5th gear(overdrive) at around 90km/h(45ish mph).

I haven't seen you swim saying, but the overall speed diference may be more than exertion or effort. Gear config, body streamlining, PROPER kicks, and body angle are all things that can lead to major difference in overall difference of speed between 2 divers.

Just my 2c

J

Swimming ahead of your buddy at top speed is generally bad for team coordination.

If your has a problem and you are swimming away at full speed, it is much more difficult for him to reach you, or even to get your attention.

Side by side, with the speed set by the slower diver is a better choice.

Faster breathing under more work tends to lead to CO2 build-up from inefficient breathing. First sign is usually a headache. You can actually get toxed and narc'd from CO2.

Slower is usually better, unless otherwise warranted by the conditions of the dive. If you are not physically taxed during the majority of the dive then you will be better able to respond to an emergency or other situation that requires extra effort and energy.

I have a young newly certified buddy that wanted to swim fast. It was easy to show him one of the reasons why I wanted him to slow down at the end of the dive when he had 500 pounds left while I Had 1200. He would burst ahead of me, first time I grabbed his fin and made him slow down. Then I made him stay behind me. At that time he started zig zagging behind me like a little dart fish.

Of course the other concern I told him was if he were out of site then no one would ever want to dive with him.

He's learning.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Swimming ahead of your buddy at top speed is generally bad for team coordination.
Sure is....which is one of the reasons I slowed down, and is a trend I got rid of 2 years ago.

Side by side, with the speed set by the slower diver is a better choice.
couldn't agree more, but when chosen as a leader (say DM with 2 students) I have found that only kicking once in the direction you are heading, and then glancing over the students after every kick is the best method if you have to be the leader.

Ditto on everything said so far. I just want to add one comment: If you slow down your diving you will get in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. Therefore if an emergency would arise you would be in the proper mindset, if you have been swimming around fast exerting yourself and an emergency arises then you may go into a state of panic. just my.02 worth.

Motorboaters are often destination oriented while sailboaters are often process oriented.

When the motorboater fires up his stink pot he is usually heading somewhere. Often when a sailboater gets his rags out of the bags he has arrived at his destination: sailing.

I'm a motorboater but Arwetheryet is slow enough that we have the mind of a sailboater. When folks figure out the name of our boat they often shout, "Are you there yet?" to which we reply, "Yes, we arrived when we got on the boat."

Now the same psychology seems to be at play in diving. Some folks are destination oriented... even when they get to the dive site and are underwater... they are still trying to get some where.

Once I get underwater I'm already there.... diving

With some new divers the need to swim hard is driven by un developed buoyancy skills. Be sure you can hover without moving. Then try a leisurely frog swim. This might beat the habit of sprinting. It's certainly fun to see what's down there!

UP,

Great way to put things in perspective. Diving is a philosophy - wow that sounds too DIRish.

Your analogy is much clearer than the Blue shirt/Green shirt story you once used to explain another situation. :D

Back
Top Bottom