Suggestion Slowing thread with semantics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just recently two individuals of supposedly high standing in the dive community were in contention. When I read the initial post and ensuing responses, two words immediately came to mind: Hypocrisy and contradiction. How difficult can it be to post random comments in a responsible manner without the need to bicker and target the person in question using innuendo and ridicule? This unruly behaviour defeats the purpose of a community forum and inhibits genuine contributors from participating without dissimulation. My suggestion would be to make your point conclusively within three posts without slowing the thread with semantics—before moderators are permitted to censor contributors from posting. I understand it may be frustrating for some when their voice is not heard. I also empathize with some of you sensitive types (GUE) who don’t relish hearing a divers’ perspectives and critique, where opinions should count regardless of their level of expertise and agency affiliation. What matters is that we all look forward to reading and interacting toward a viable solution. Why else would you post in a public forum where you have readers and participants alike? Which leads me to believe the forum is unable to cope with divers from various backgrounds and beliefs. Although, I really enjoy the entertainment value of the ScubaBoard forum, I strongly urge staff to rejuvenate your reasoning before acting decisively.

So if you engage in sophistry, would that make you a sophister?

The devil's in the details and effective communication without miscommunication sometimes may require more words than "optimal" plus semantics of potential typos or perpetuated misunderstandings:
Semantics are like 150 psi OR bar on a pressure gauge... Also consider the PPO3 when rebreather diving...
(SIC, I damn well better mean PPO2 to the prospective new rebreather diver... A measurable PPO3 while on a CCR would be a very very bad thing to say the least and depending on the display the only difference between a PPO2 of 1.0 and 1.8 is a small line, or at most a single digit OR life...)

Back
Top Bottom