Suggestion Slowing thread with semantics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Just recently two individuals of supposedly high standing in the dive community were in contention. When I read the initial post and ensuing responses, two words immediately came to mind: Hypocrisy and contradiction. How difficult can it be to post random comments in a responsible manner without the need to bicker and target the person in question using innuendo and ridicule? This unruly behaviour defeats the purpose of a community forum and inhibits genuine contributors from participating without dissimulation. My suggestion would be to make your point conclusively within three posts without slowing the thread with semantics—before moderators are permitted to censor contributors from posting. I understand it may be frustrating for some when their voice is not heard. I also empathize with some of you sensitive types (GUE) who don’t relish hearing a divers’ perspectives and critique, where opinions should count regardless of their level of expertise and agency affiliation. What matters is that we all look forward to reading and interacting toward a viable solution. Why else would you post in a public forum where you have readers and participants alike? Which leads me to believe the forum is unable to cope with divers from various backgrounds and beliefs. Although, I really enjoy the entertainment value of the ScubaBoard forum, I strongly urge staff to rejuvenate your reasoning before acting decisively.

Let's discuss it some more and see where it leads.

We can start with a definition of semantics:

"the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. There are a number of branches and subbranches of semantics, including formal semantics, which studies the logical aspects of meaning, such as sense, reference, implication, and logical form, lexical semantics, which studies word meanings and word relations, and conceptual semantics, which studies the cognitive structure of meaning."

That clears it right up.
It depends on what you mean by clearing it right up. Do you mean that it is now a consensus of debaters yielding to prevailing arguments? Or do you simply mean that the arguments can earnestly begin now that the meaning of semantics is established? And does anyone object to this definition?

It depends on what you mean by clearing it right up. Do you mean that it is now a consensus of debaters yielding to prevailing arguments? Or do you simply mean that the arguments can earnestly begin now that the meaning of semantics is established? And does anyone object to this definition?
No. Yes. Yes.

What does all this mean????!!!!
Maybe if we keep this thread up it will become the magnet for semantics and suck all the semantics out of all the other threads so they will be semantic free.
Once people go down under the waves all the semantics go out the window anyway, so maybe people just need to dive more.

What does this all mean????!!!!
Maybe if we keep this thread up it will become the magnet for semantics and suck all the semantics out of all the other threads so they will be semantic free.
Once people go down under the waves all the semantics go out the window anyway, so maybe people just need to dive more.
When has being underwater ever stopped us from arguing over semantics?

When has being underwater ever stopped us from arguing over semantics?

Well actually we are “in” water rather than under it.

:wink:

While I agree that brevity is always better, sometimes a discussion requires a thorough response that may exceed the 10k character limit. It is rare but it does take place.

As comments are not like a presentation to a customer that will make or break a company, people (at least me) don't always review what we wrote, are tired/distracted.

Social media isnt that important.

People in general should write comments as if they are speaking to whoever as of they are standing right in front of them.

People who know me know that I am an exception to the above rule/suggestion as I'm far worse / less restrained in person (what's that? OMFG? 😂)

There are quite a few including myself here that utilize the 1st Amendment with our freedom of speech.
I think my skin got a lot thicker after coming here for the diving content.
Most of these characters also give solid diving advice and share their experiences with us if we agree or not with their worldly views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom