"Small" Gear Bag Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_frog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In a few weeks, I will be going on a cruise, diving in Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I want to take my gear except weights and tanks. Question...what do you take it in. I was thinking about getting a duffle or backpack type carrying bag. Figure it would be easier all around...plane...tender/cab...dive boat. Would prefer NOT to check it in. Is there any luggage out these that will fit a complete set of gear AND be considered a carry-on for the airlines.

I was actually looking at this one. Oceanic At Pak 4 Roller Backpack 17.6604.07 I think I can squeeze BC, 1mm wetsuit and regs in there. Going to be tight, but it meets the airlines carry-on requirements.

Buy a cheap hockey bag or similar with wheels. And as an FYI airlines will not let you take scuba gear as carry on. I take my mask and camera anything else they make you check as it might be used as a weapon. I almost cancelled my last trip because they wouldn't let me take my reg and console in my carry on. In Grand Cayman go with Bob sotos reef divers they are the best there. Most airlines will let you take a scuba bag at no charge (as extra baggage), we usually put all our Heavy items into that bag. The only other way of doing it is to get a small back pack with straps on the outside (for your fins) then wrap your bcd around the outside. Or check the restrictions for your airline. If you can get away with a carry one roller just use that but most of the time you will be over on your weight restrictions.

Just my .02 cents

I'm not sure how scuba gear can be used as a weapon. But I have heard stranger things (I'm in the freight business...trust me). TSA doesn't know which end is up on what day.

The bag I mentioned equals the size limit (45 linear inches). As for weight, no way a BC and 1mm weight 20 lbs, but I will check with the airlines just in case.

Thanks for the info on Reef Divers. Will definitely check them out.

Update...I checked the TSA site and scuba gear CAN be checked in, with exceptions...TSA: Transporting Scuba Equipment

Akona by Sherwood Carry-On Roller Bag
Rubber grab handle provides stability
Locking telescoping extension pull handle - see how it works
Front compartment stores the optional Akona Deluxe Regulator Bag -see below to order - see how it works
Top organization compartment holds all our items close and convenient
Zippered side computer sleeve provide quick access to your laptop
In-line molded, silent rolling wheels provide a stable and ultra-smooth transportation
Heavy Duty Zippers
600 Denier
DIMENSIONS: 23" x 16" x 9"
CAPACITY: 2,310 cubic inches
Buy Akona by Sherwood Carry On Roller Bag AKB176 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

Scuba.com....that was another option I was looking at. However, It looks like the Oceanic 17.6604.07 has a larger storage capacity, uses heavier Denier, has fin straps (which will be nice for taking on the dive boat), has backpack straps and is $10 cheaper.

Am I missing something or does the Oceanic seem like the better buy. I was checking out your site anyway, so whatever "inside" advice you can give me would be appreciated...or if it is easier, PM me your name and number and I can give you a call.

Thanks.....Pete

I know this is more info than you requested, but here goes. Regardless of what you pack your gear in for travel, I highly recommend a small mesh/nylon, collapsible duffle-type bag for carrying on the boat. I think it is ridiculous to see giant, full-size wheeled gear bags on a dive boat because once you take everything out, you still have a huge bag that's in everyone's way.

If the boat is large, then you'll have 12-15 other divers trying to store their gear under the bench or elsewhere. Your bag will be in the way, people will step on it and trip over it, and you'll have trouble finding a good place to store it. If the boat is small, then there won't be room for a large gear bag. You'll also have to clean that giant bag every time you get off of the boat, which is also a pain in the rear. One of the worst dive purchase decisions I ever made was a giant wheeled gear bag. It was a lot more trouble than it was worth, and I sold it very cheap just to get rid of it.

It is very easy to wear your gear on and off the boat, and carry what you can't wear. Boat etiquette calls for situational awareness of your surroundings and courtesy to the other divers you have to share space with. I could go on and on about this one!

When I travel, I take one large wheeled luggage bag for packing my BP/harness/wing, wet suit, booties, gloves, fins, save-a-dive kit, small folding mesh duffle bag, misc. items, toiletries and some clothes and shoes. I also take a small 18" wheeled carry-on for packing my regulator, dive computer, mask, camera/housing, medicines, cell phone, sun glasses, reading glasses, ID/passport, a few clothes to use to wrap around items for padding, and anything else that might be fragile, easily damaged, or a good target for thieves.

If the small connecting flights that fly out of my city allowed 21"-22" wheeled carry-ons, I could probably pack everything in one bag, but the carry-on limit here is 18".

I agree with realdiver7! The bag used to take the gear onto the boat should be completely collapsable to stow under the seats. We use a very large duffle to carry two sets of gear onto the boat, but it collapses to the size of a frisbee and it doesn't get in anyone's way. Also, after the dive I can soak the whole duffle, which you wouldn't want to do with a rolling suitcase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom