Small knife for a Sherwood Avid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
Bought an Avid BCD recently and asked for a knife. They brought out a big knife ~9 inches with the sheath. I am told it is designed to attach to the straps above the left pocket. The Akona knife that comes in the pro kit looks large also.

I have an Oceanic Spinner on my old BC and love the compact size. Has anyone mounted a small knife on an Avid? I don't wan to zip tie on my hose. I made my own holes on the other BC and the Spinner has been fine. Has anyone put their own holes on an Avid? Where did you put them?

I mounted my Wenoka EZ Lock to my Avid by drilling two holes in the right shoulder strap plastic buckle. I then drilled two corresponding holes in the belt clip on the back of the sheath. I used stainless steel bolts/nuts to attach the two together, knife upside down. I suggest using a drop of lock tight on the bolts to keep the nuts from backing out. I've made about 15 dives with it and have had no problem. The knife and sheath are 8 1/2" in length but I would think a shorter one would work just as well. It's out of the way, handy, and being attached to the bc, it's something else I don't have to worry about leaving behind when I pack my gear for a dive.

2 Bar

I just stopped using my Sherwood Avid. I have the Akona Pro Kit knife and it works very well. While it does look large, you do not notice it because of where it is installed. It is very easy to remove and reinsert even with coldwater gloves. It does take a bit of time to install, but it is worth it. I changed to a BP/W so got a Z-knife. I am going to put the Akona on my GF's Sherwood BC.

Back
Top Bottom