Small Utila Trip Report June 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robertcrockett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Utila trip Report june 2016

We packed down 150 lbs of medical supplies for the Cays and sponsored about 17 kids through school next year on the cays as well (uniforms/supplies etc...)Diving was generally warm and clear with an average of around 80 feet visibility. Reefs seemed healthy and ok with the occasional dead patch. Life was abundant with turtle, Nurse shark, many Moray, a few ray and sightings of Whale Shark being reported by Alton's. I personally did not see any Whale Shark or dolphins this trip. Shops all seemed to have a lot of traffic and divers. I dove for 10 days with UDC which still caters mostly to those seeking certifications and with shops such as Alton's focusing more on the recreational diver. UDC almost always has multiple full boats leaving around 7am and 1pm for two tank dives. Utila itself seemed a little quiet this June. The street crowds seemed about normal but the nightlife noise was down a few notches. Per usual Foo King Wok, RJs, Rehab and Skid Row still serve great food on the main drag in East Harbor. Common sense is still king in Utila. While sitting at Tranquila on the dock and enjoying a conversation with my fiancee, I immediately noticed 3 locals running a scam on a young man from the UK who was very intoxicated. I got in his ear and tried to explain to him that if he had friends he needed to find them and leave, as he was about to be robbed and possibly assaulted. He was far too drunk at this point to reason with and within 5 minutes they had swarmed. I took my fiancee away from the situation and a couple of DMs told me he was beaten very badly right outside the club. These same three individuals have been pulling this (Im your friend buddy, let me protect you from this other bad local) scam for years...Most of the violence (that I personally know of) can be attributed to them and I am not sure why the island continues to put up with it. I had a young man break into my room through a window while I was on the morning boat. He stole an empty wallet, a mobile phone and the room fan. Most concerning to me was that my fiancee was asleep in the room at the time. The owner of the place that I staying at managed to track down my phone and after a trip to the police station I was able to get the mobile back...now with a broken screen and missing SD card. If one sticks to the main places like Treetanic, Skids and Rehab for a few cocktails and uses a little common sense about how much alcohol they consume or money that they flash, I am sure most trips can go off without a hitch. However for me, this trip was probably my last. Even though I dive for free with UDC, I personally do not feel that I could take my children there. After a pretty brazen break in, I have a bad taste in my mouth about taking my future wife there and it seemed that i was asked to buy cocaine about 600 times a night. For close trips in the Bay Islands I will probably be sticking to Roatan from now on...my friends own a shop in West Bay anyway.

So to break it down...diving is good per usual for Utila. Prices are cheap. Use common sense and you can avoid most trouble in town. I still heartily recommend it to someone who has never been...it is always an experience. Just not really one for me anymore.

What a bummer. And you've been there multiple times and loved it. Completely understand how a break in with your fiance present would turn you off to it. I was in Utila for a week in 2010 and loved the vibe. We were usually back in the room by 11PM to get ready for diving though. Too bad a few rotten apples can spoil the whole desire to come back. Glad you have other options.

I have seen your posts for quite some time and respect your knowledge of Utila. The fact that you have witnessed this behavior for years and knew what to expect from these guys is very telling. After what is obviously multiple occurrences, how can the authorities allow that to continue? It's pretty obvious...

Money talks, and the only way this criminal activity will stop is if divers boycott the area in a public way until it is under control. Thanks for doing your part...

Honestly...I still love the vibe as well. And the ones you generally see place themselves in harm's way are the very young/naive, engrossed in the party atmosphere to a point where they get so inebriated or out of sorts that they make it dangerous for themselves...however this also takes place in cities all over the good ole USA as well. It always boils down to being careful and alert and using just a tad of common sense wherever you may be. A little smartz goes a long way...unfortunately, so does a little stupidity. The robbery of the phone only really concerned me because it happened while the room was occupied. That takes a brazen thief and in the event of being surprised or scared, several unfortunate things could have taken place. However, again that happens around the world as well...... from Detroit to Denmark and I believe that it is a rarity in the bay islands..not the norm. I have spent a lot of time there and i have stayed in everything from 5 dollar a night rooms to valet dive service resorts and it has never happened before. I sincerely love the place or i wouldn't have trucked a zillion extra pounds of med supplies out there on my own dime or continue to go. So I hope that no one takes my report as some sort of admonishment to the Bay Islands or Utila in particular. It was just the truth of my last trip. My fiancee loves the island as well and regardless of my trip report I am sure we will be back on the Rock...its in the blood. I love the people and i'm as familiar with it as i am my hometown it seems...But as I get a bit older, i find that i do like what seems like a more lively selection of marine life off of Roatan and the availability of lodging that offers a bit more for a family or creature comforts....though there is trade off in price...but its really not that much.

I have seen your posts for quite some time and respect your knowledge of Utila. The fact that you have witnessed this behavior for years and knew what to expect from these guys is very telling. After what is obviously multiple occurrences, how can the authorities allow that to continue? It's pretty obvious...

Money talks, and the only way this criminal activity will stop is if divers boycott the area in a public way until it is under control. Thanks for doing your part...

Yes it is a small island...Same guys running the same robbery scam year after year is kind of ludicrous. It is telling when I can sit with my feet up and point out to my fiancee what is "about" to happen, by who and to who.... all before it actually takes place. Im no Sherlock Holmes, so if i can see it...so can tons of others. Unfortunately i think that most victims of these types of activity are so inebriated at the time that I am sure they remember very little if anything about the robbery/assault and therefore i'm also sure they rarely report anything to the authorities. My advice to anyone going out for the evening anywhere has always been...stick to the well known places, go with friends, stay with friends, leave with friends, know your limits and stay under them and pay attention to your surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom