Smaller SMBs from Carter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In search of a smallish utility SMB for training and to carry every dive, I struck upon a few possibilities and thought I’d pass them on. I’ve been investigating alternatives to the 3 foot Halcyon. Carter SMBs are a bit wider than the smallest Halcyon so they are a little longer when folded, but gives Carter the visibility advantage.

The smallest is actually listed as a spearfishing float on their website It is oral inflate only, and folds nice and small. The designation is:

Carter SFF CBFF-25 4 inches x 40 inches

The next size up is a Carter custom that is really slick. This one happens to be orange, but can be ordered in any color. It has both oral fill tube and self-sealing flapper on the bottom for filling with second stage. These flapper valves seal off really nicely; I never thought they’d he so airtight.
The is a great unit for training since divers can practice both oral and second stage inflation, and it still rolls down really small. Designation:

Carter PF CBPF-30org 4 inches x 50 inches

This last unit is probably bigger than I would use for my every dive carry, but it certainly has a nice balance of visibility and stowability. This SMB also has both oral and flapper valve.

Carter PF CBPF-35 4 inches x 72 inches

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom