Smart Com are they dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Being involved in computer consulting, field repair, and computer security I see alot of questionable issues that arises from modern computer usage. What do I dive with? I dive with a bottom timer, a watch and slates. To some this may seem antiquated but i'll never have a lock out, i'll never have a false reading and i'll never have a issue like this. All i'm trying to say is dive computers are a great tool to log dives, monitor dive profiles and a good educational tool if used constructively. However I don't think I would solely trust my life to just using a computer, or having a backup computer.

One dive I was on my buddy's computer locked up and I had no idea as to his profile. This was a very screwed up dive, not just because of the computer failure but because of the methodology used by the cattle herd operation. I had to run 2 profiles for us, one for me and one for him. This person did not have tables and was talking bad about table use before this dive. After this dive the person agreed he needed to learn and use the tables as a backup.

For some time I have been toying with the idea of buying a dive computer. After doing alot of homework I realized that dive computers are no different than regular everyday computers. My search has lead me to things that bikini atoll has stated about computers and what my buddy rainreg has to say as well. Both said basicaly the same things. If you wish to read the bikini report on computer it is here. Scroll down to the computer recomendations and you'll be shocked to see a very small list. Yes they do different profiles than most divers but as we learn in network engineering, computers are designed for different needs and everything has limits. My question to you us do you know your dive computers limits and is the dive computer in question the correct choice?

Ed

My question to you is do you know your dive computers limits and is the dive computer in question the correct choice?

Yes. :)

Recreational diving only.

No tech stuff, caves, deco diving.

Can do basic nitrox stuff.

If I ever plan on doing anything more serious, I will get something better suited to more hardcore diving. Like a Uwatec Air Z Nitrox.

I don't think the Bikini Atoll write up can be applied to the VAST majority of recreational divers. They are doing SERIOUS deco diving, that 99% of recreation only divers would never do. So I take that write up with a grain of salt.....or a pound of it, since it does not apply to my diving style. :)

But if I ever considered doing that kind of stuff, I would give it much more credence and listen to their suggestions!

Brules

The LDS that I dive with regularly here is one of the largest SP dealers in the caribbean. They have, (and have seen), a pile of smart-coms that locked up, or crapped out, some as soon as they hit the water. Needless to say, they have not been too happy with SP's response, or more properly, Lack of response. In fact, they no longer have one on display, or (as far as I know), offer to sell you one. The computer of choice for serious recreational divers here seems to be the Air-Z-Nitrox, (or it's derivatives). They have an enviable track record. Smart Com seems like it needs to go back to the drawing board, but SP already has too much $$$ in them and recal would likely hurt the entire Uwatec line.

From what I've seen, they make a nice looking hosemount for your compass. However, a $900 mount for a $65 compass isn't going to get me standing in line anytime soon.

Brules once bubbled...

The very uncertanty of the above statements is what steered me away from the Uwatecs. :( I REALLY liked them, their layout is nice, and they are so easy to read, but I just didn't trust the new bubble supression stuff enough to go with it. I know I could just disable it......but that kind of defeats the purpose of it doesn't it?

Brules

It does not defeat the purpose, it is the purpos, to give you a down adjusted NDT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom