SMB etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are different etiquettes in different parts of the world. In truth the majority don't really know or care.

Based in the UK, i generally follow the UK etiquette. Most of the rules come from the technical end of the spectrum rather than the sports diver end. Most importantly, even if you are following the general rules, it means nothing if the boat and your fellow divers don't know what you are doing.

Red (in the UK) is the general use DSMB, deployed on ascent. In the UK the vast majority of UK divers will deploy a DSMB prior or during ascent, unless they are ascending a shot line. It is considered one of the basic skills.
Yellow is general assumed to indicate a problem.
My Yellow is set to be clipped to an existing DSMB line, so it runs up the line. This is generally assumed to be Out Of Gas, although mine has a series of tear off slates if I want to be more specific.

When I was doing more technical diving, the boat would come in drop a loop over the DSMB's and then drop a cylinder on its own buoy through the centre, with deco gas.

The other point to remember is how easy they are to see in both bright and poor light. Red is generally assumed to be easier to see if you are low down - i.e. in a boat looking for a diver. Yellow is easier to see if you are high up looking down, i.e a helicopter search.
This is based on some tests done a few years ago by the RNLI and coastguard in the UK.

Gareth

thank you for all the very helpful replies. I'll practice deploying and stowing in the pool before we leave.
Without a dSMB course??!! I'm joking... We didn't use these back in the early 80's and I'm debating about buying one and where/how I'll learn to use it before my next vacation.

Maybe he's not...I have a friend who has been diving for years who didn't know what SMB meant when I mentioned it. He only knew "safety sausage."

What's an SMB?

Rick, I find all the acronyms on this site to be overwhelming. Here is a link that I've found to be very helpful:

Scuba Acronyms

You being facetious? Surface marker buoy, also known as "safety sausage."
Nope, not being facetious. I know it's been a long time (15 years) since I was an active diver, and back then 95% of my dives were boat dives. I don't remember every seeing anyone carrying an SMB, let alone deploying one.

I'm just an old fart that is out of touch :eek: Kinda like Back flotation and Integrated weights - "in the old days" everyone was moving away from back flotation. Integrated weights were available but not many people used them.

I don't recall anything being mentioned about SMBs in my OW class, either, and only relatively recently have I seen more divers carrying them. I think it's a change for the better.

I just used mine "for real" for the first time yesterday. Our group got thrown off course, most likely by my own user error using the digital compass in my shearwater for the first time. Pointing out from the dock gave me a bearing of 220, and pointing back in (turning 180) gave a bearing of 320. I didn't realize this before heading out, so we got turned by about 90 degrees on our return after leaving pre-laid nav line. Weird huh?

Anyway, we ended up too far away from our dive flag which we had tied off, and so I shot my SMB to (hopefully) ward off boats, and we ascended there. All that practice in the pool paid off! I didn't get tangled or drop anything. I didn't lose my buoyancy control (much). I felt pretty good about it.

So yes, carry one, but also practice using it. The first time I shot it on a real dive was just for practice and I got tangled up, then lost my mask on the surface while trying to put it back together. And that was *after* my first round of practicing in the pool.

Next time to this site I'll wear a normal compass too and compare notes. I can't imagine the magnetic effects that would throw things off like that.

Vam,
I'm glad everything worked out okay.

When I was in my early twenties and doing most of my diving, I never worried about these things and I had never heard of an smb. Of course I was bulletproof, like most young males. Now, my 17 year old son and I are leaving for the keys in a few weeks, and I have a whole different mind-set. We'll both practice deploying in a pool before we go.

So did the boat come get you, or did you surface swim to the boat? And just for curiosity, how far were you from the boat when you reached the surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom