SMB to fit in Dive rite quick draw sleeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lishen:
mike_s beat me to it. i have that same DR quick draw sleeve and ST smb. i've managed to get mine in but the velcro doesn't seal up, though its such a tight fit that it doesn't move. the only problem would be if you need to stow it underwater. i'd say it would be impossible.
Out of curiosity, why would you need to restow it underwater? Generally you take it out to send it up, and then restow on the surface. I suppose if I needed to abort deploying it once started, I could always just stick it in my pocket.

I'm honestly curious: What is the purpose of this thing? (I mean, other than being another widget that dive shops can make money on...) Why is simply clipping the SMB to a D-ring not good enough? Clipped to a D-ring, it's ready for rapid deployment, it's easily rolled up and re-attached and ready for the next dive... What's up with these "quick-draw" pockets?
:confused:

CompuDude:
Dunno what to tell y'all. Perhaps one or the other design has changed from when I bought mine late last year, but my $40 ScubaToys SMB fits perfectly (if somewhat snugly) in my DR QuickDraw sleeve.

I'll try to remember to take some photos tonight.

If you do, take some measurements (inside and out). If your's fits, it might verify the statement that the sleeve used to be bigger.

Fish_Whisperer:
I'm honestly curious: What is the purpose of this thing? (I mean, other than being another widget that dive shops can make money on...) Why is simply clipping the SMB to a D-ring not good enough? Clipped to a D-ring, it's ready for rapid deployment, it's easily rolled up and re-attached and ready for the next dive... What's up with these "quick-draw" pockets?

its purpose is just like the bungee's, which is to move it up to a space against the BC, out of the way. Some divers just don't want a SMB to "dangle" from a D-ring on a clip. It's just to remove stuff from dangling which might get caught on something. Overall it's personal preference, so if you prefer to clip to your D-ring then that's ok also....

Fish_Whisperer:
Actually, it has a genuine benefit as well: It prevents wear on the SMB from rubbing, since it entirely covers it. Any wear would hit the sleeve, and not the SMB, potentially saving the bag from holes. Since I leave mine on my plate at all times, wear was a concern for me, and I found the DR sleeve addressed the issue nicely, as well as giving and overall neater appearance.

Fish_Whisperer:

I think the sleeves are really handy. I like them better than bungied loops and I damn sure wouldn't want anything 8" long 3" thick flopping around my chest (as on a D-ring).
As for restowing, the hardest part is not putting it back in the sleeve, but getting gas and water out.
And if a dive shop can make money on something someone wants to buy, I say salute. That is why they are in buisness, and if they go out of buisiness..........(pleas see another thread)

Fish_Whisperer:
You know, now that I re-read your post, I wonder if you aren't thinking about a different product than we are.

A safety sausage is a small inflatable tube around 4' and a few inches wide, that rolls up into a nice, compact little 3"x2" roll, and clips nicely from any available D-ring.

Compare that to the SMB (surface marker buoy), which is generally about 6' tall and 6-8" wide when inflated, and when deflated and rolled it's still a fairly substantial package that's a tube 6-8" long and 2-3" diameter... far larger than you'd probably want hanging freely from a D ring. One of the more common methods of stowing them involves a couple loops of bungee or tubing on your backplate, and stowing it along the side or bottom of the plate, where it's mostly out of the way.
marker220.jpg

I think yes

mike_s:
If you do, take some measurements (inside and out). If your's fits, it might verify the statement that the sleeve used to be bigger.
I finally got around to taking a few pictures. Hope this helps someone.

(Pardon the state of my gear, yes, it needs to be cleaned and I have not had a chance since my last dive!)

SMB fully stowed in sleeve:
IMG_3682%20(Medium).JPG

Closed end of sleeve with SMB inside:
IMG_3683%20(Medium).JPG

SMB laying atop the sleeve (for size reference):
IMG_3684%20(Medium).JPG

SMB held next to sleeve (for size reference):
IMG_3685%20(Medium).JPG

Sleeve length is just shy of 11":
IMG_3687%20(Medium).JPG

SMB length is about 9":
IMG_3688%20(Medium).JPG

Sleeve width is about 5", SMB rolled width is about 4":
IMG_3690%20(Medium).JPG

A good inch to spare with the SMB stowed inside the sleeve, easy to close velcro:
IMG_3693%20(Medium).JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom