SMBs - DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a look at my gallery...I have pix of simple markers. They work great as long as they are not over inflated at depth...no relief valve.

I have an relatively inexpensive SMB ($15) These are available on eBay.
I is a simple bi-laminate nylon & polyurethane construction. It also has no relief valve.
If you over inflate it at depth it/they can burst/rupture on the way or at the surface.

I am presently looking a fitting it with an old dry suit or BCD relief valve to solve the problem.

The open bottom type can, like lift bags deflate/colapse suddenly in heavy waves.

Mike D

I have an relatively inexpensive SMB ($15) These are available on eBay.
I is a simple bi-laminate nylon & polyurethane construction. It also has no relief valve.
If you over inflate it at depth it/they can burst/rupture on the way or at the surface.
Somewhat surprisingly, a very commonly available "surface" signalling sausage without a relief valve works very well as a DSMB. Sold under several names including See Me, this tube will bleed out excess air through the fabric (nylon ?? cordura ??).

I use a 4" x 44" tube with about 30' of 2mm cord wrapped it as a DSMB. Typically I deploy it from 20-25' depth with one full breath of air in it. It will expand fully on the way up. It stays fully pressurized (maybe 1 or 2 psi or so -- more than I could possibly inflate it by mouth) on the surface.

I learned the trick from a Cozumel DM. When I asked him if he had to be careful to fill it just the right amount, he chuckled and on the next dive we launched one fully inflated from 100' ---- it just fizzed all the way up and had no damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom